What I Learned from Bro Lett's DC Talk

by Rohag 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rohag
    Rohag

In the interests of full disclosure, the above bullet statement, "If you're an apostate, chances are bad conduct/secret sin/moral depravity made you that way. Apostasy is usually founded on sin and rarely on conviction," is my summary based on my total impression of Mr. Lett's comments. Here's what he actually said:

See, Jehovah's not going to lower his standard to accommodate us, is he? We have to come up to Jehovah's standard, and this book [Keep Yourselves in God's Love] will help us do that. And it will help us to maintain that high standard. 'Cause you remember the comment was made in the talk that when someone makes the sad mistake of leaving Jehovah's love, remember the problem is not usually doctrine, it's conduct, isn't it? So this book is going to help ones to maintain that high standard that Jehovah has set in conduct.
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    'Cause you remember the comment was made in the talk that when someone makes the sad mistake of leaving Jehovah's love, remember the problem is not usually doctrine, it's conduct, isn't it?

No

• garybuss
    garybuss

Link to mp3 please? Thanks!

• james_woods
    james_woods

The "all apostates are secret sinners" was bad enough - but I think what may have been worse was this notion:

"The bible is either overly complex or insufficient as a guide for human christian conduct".

Actually, they might have sort of a twisted point of logic there - you cannot, for example, find in the bible a detailed guide as to which blood fractions are OK, why the use of tobacco is wrong (tobacco being unknown to the bible writers, after all), a detailed guide to proper and improper married sexual conduct, rules on saluting the flag, rules on military service, rules on voting, precise rules on how many meetings a week to attend, and how many hours per month should be given over to field service, just to mention a few of the "conduct rules" that they have heaped on the backs of their followers.

Many witnesses do not know this - the fact that none of the above is remotely addressed by the bible. They live these rules as if they were the manna handed down from on high and have never made the connection that none of them has the slightest biblical support.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

As for the comment about how so-called apostasy is founded on secret sin and depravity and less on actual belief, this is typical ad hominem attack on the messenger.

They want to plant in the minds of the average JW that people who leave the religion are dirty and disgusting and can't live up to the 'high standards' of the religion.

In my opinion this is why for the longest time they have used the term 'loose conduct' as a blanket statement when describing somebody who left or was DF'd from the religion. They are fearful people will inquire as to why a person left. It is so much easier for them to say this because it conjures up a picture of somebody who has committed fornication/adultery, etc. They reason that nobody will inquire why the person left the religion because it would be embarrassing to ask.

They do not want anybody to know that people leave because something is wrong with the RELIGION.

LHG

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Darn, how did this guy know that I was, wife swapping, drug using, bank robbing and alcohol swiggin my way through apostate life?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Jesus was an apostate of the Jewish religion.

I am an apostate of the Wacktower religion.

Monkey see monkey do.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Sir82:

Dude could lift 100 lbs with his eyebrow muscles alone.

And it's not just the weight, it's the reps and sets. During morning worship it would be fascinating to just watch the bizzare facial contortions... and ignore what he was saying.

B the X

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    If you're an apostate, chances are bad conduct/secret sin/moral depravity made you that way. Apostasy is usually founded on sin and rarely on conviction.

That's true, because to the organization, THINKING is a sin.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Regarding apostates, it's really sad that the WT has to stoop to such a low level of mud-slinging. I really wonder sometimes if they truly understand how much the world, and also secretly "thinking" JW's who want to leave, believes them to be the lying jackasses that they are. I can't believe a group of men who think they are so damn holy can call people names just because they expose them. I know this isn't mature, but just once I'd like to meet a GB member, preferably Jaracz the jackass, and punch him in the nose so hard that he never got up. I'm so sick of being slandered by religious sluts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit