What I Learned from Bro Lett's DC Talk

by Rohag 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

So, I'd like to know exactly when I went from irregular, to inactive, to bad association, to apostate. What did I do to merit the "apostate" designation? The Jehovah's Witness people treat me the same as always . . . crappy!

• erandir
    erandir

Sorry, I meant to word my post this way:

If you're an apostate, chances are bad conduct/secret sin/moral depravity made you that way. Apostasy is usually founded on sin and rarely on conviction.

This is totally true! I'm an apostate because of the bad conduct/secret sin/moral depravity of a few witnesses I knew...one was my book study conductor, another was a whole family of witnesses I used to work for, and others were witnesses I associated with. My apostacy was founded on their sin.

That "rarely on conviction" things is a lie, though. I'm an apostate on moral grounds. My conviction is that I do not want to tolerate the hypocrisy of the organization.

Hope that clears things up. I was half asleep when I wrote this post the first time.

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks for this thread!

This screams CULT!!!!!!!

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer
  • No other religious organization is bearing a world-wide witness to the Kingdom established in the heavens in 1914.
  • What a sad statement for anyone to make! I went to meetings for almost 10 years before I realized that the 1914 doctrine was a misconception.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The title of this thread indicates some amount of personal subjectivity in understanding what was said/meant by this speaker at the DC.

This point:

1. If you're an apostate, chances are bad conduct/secret sin/moral depravity made you that way. Apostasy is usually founded on sin and rarely on conviction.

This point has been oft commented on as if it were a 'quote' - was it in fact? I would be interested in seeing if the GB has gone so far in making this brazen comment specifically, or if this is more an interpretation of what Mr Lettt stated. Just for academics.

Jeff

• Rohag
    Rohag

AK - Jeff, you are correct. This is not a direct quote; it's a summarized impression based on the whole of the talk. See my post on the first page of this thread for a clarification. You can view a transcription of the whole talk at JWS.

I had hoped to be able to listen to and perhaps transcribe the earlier referenced talk that may have gone into more detail about those who "make the sad mistake," but, as of yesterday, almost all of the audio files had been deleted from the site pointed out to me by Ynot.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx for the clarification. Just wanted to be sure that posters knew that this was the impression overall [and likely accurate], but not the direct quote. We wouldn't want to go off brandishing this comment as ammunition in some battle, only to find that it was an individual interpretation of the monologue and not the monologue itself.

Still - I would love to see the actual quotes if you come across the audio again.

Jeff

• shamus100
    shamus100

All you fellow apostates remember the underlying notion: IT'S ALWAYS YOUR FAULT. BURN IN HELL, YOU EVIL BASTARDS!!!!

You lack faith.

You lack Jehovahs love.

You are the epitomy of evil, because you're smarter than I am... to leave this crock of shit religion.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Perhaps I missed something - but in reviewing [I scanned and did not read it completely] I did not see reference to either apostates, or to the type of conduct that would lead them to such a choice, as you indicate in your first post.

If you're an apostate, chances are bad conduct/secret sin/moral depravity made you that way. Apostasy is usually founded on sin and rarely on conviction.

Thank you for the link to the transcription. I am glad I did not relate this outside the forum, as I find no foundation for so doing.

While I have no doubt that many Jw's feel that way - and perhaps Stephen Lett does also. Still I see nothing to indicate in his final talk at the DC to indicate that position. Once again, I may just have missed that part in my scan.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx Rohag, for that.

I had missed those comments when I scanned over it last night. The comment about leaving Jehovah's love certainly could be taken to mean apostates. But I would think that in the context [and without any other direct reference to apostates, in the sense of evil minded souls who rebel against the organization], that he is likely making a more blanket statement about any who fall away or weaken and get disfellowshipped.

Were there any direct tirades against apostates in this convention? This review talk did not highlight them directly, so I wonder if the Society is beginning to think that it is counter-productive to even mention it nowadays. Perhaps they fear that even using the word would lead a few to 'investigate' why some are leaving?

Anyway, thanx again for the links. And thanx for the clarification of your expressions.

I miss these sorts of discussions at times. In the last few months I have found myself getting almost completely uninterested in Watchtower doctrinal issues. But your mention of Steve Lett perked my ears, as I considered him a good friend when he served our circuit in the 80's.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit