What does The Watchtower really give to its followers?

by VM44 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

I think this question deserves a thread of its own;

What really does The Watchtower provide to its followers?

They take (and really demand) people's time, energy, and resources.

What does The Watchtower give in return?

The hope of eventually being shunned by others in the Organization?

• StAnn
    StAnn

They give people a sense of belonging (even though it is very conditional) and they also help people feel that they are elite, that they are special, that they are chosen. Where else can someone with no education, no money, and no prospects be admired for those things? That can be a powerful drug for someone who is on the fringes of society.

StAnn

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Flat Feet

and

No sense of worth

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bible and religious knowledge, mostly one sided. A social life.

S

• sir82
    sir82

For a lot of elders & COs, it gives a sense of real power over others' lives.

"In the real world, I'm just a window washer, but cross me in the Kingdom Hall, and I have the power to cause every member of your family to never speak to you again."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Sir 82,

Your comment is so true about them feeling 'power' to cause people trouble. I am grateful I had no family there.

I always felt it was a place where men with little or no education could feel important, which is really pathetic if you ask me.

LHG

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Easyreader1970- you summed it up very nicely.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Stevenson, in his 1967 book "1975 - Year of Doom?" summed it up beautifully
    i.e. "No other religious group demands so much of its followers, in return for so little."

In other words, JWs give back about two thirds, of five eights. of seven tenths of #%$& - all!

Jack.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

sense of belonging ... that will be $5 please.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The balance is very unfair for the average JW since the WTS wants to own them for the trivial things it offers them, trivial once we deduct all the imaginary benefits of being a JW eg having a ticket to a paradise world and belonging to the true religion and thus enjoying divine favour and eternal life prospects.

Some JWs may benefit from having a good social circle and a spiritual environment of sorts perhaps even business wise others will be marginalised eg women/children without a JW husband/father and the impoverished socially low ranking members will hardly derive any benefit from being JWs. At least that's what I witnessed during my time as a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit