What Stupid Rules Did Your Congregation Have?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

One rule I remember from a congregation I was in about fifteen years ago was that only two or three piece suits could be worn on the platform.

No dress slacks and blazers of a different color. If you had on tan pants and a dark blue jacket, you would not be giving any talks.

You could, however, have a lip-beard or a mustache that went down past your lips.

In the congregation I was in a couple of years ago, you could not have a lip-beard or a longer mustache.

And of course, because you're causing disunity in the congregation if you fight that sort of controlling nonsense, you're damn near apostate if you argue.

However there was one brother, he was a ministerial servant, who refused to cut his little lip-beard. They would only let him do the microphone assignments but he couldn't give talks or conduct meetings for field service. I thought that brother was awesome.

er

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Everyone sits up front.

No gum.

No whispering.

No Walkman.

No Skeletor Action Figures.

• DJK
    DJK

No playing, before or after a meeting, in or outside the KH.

One Thursday night there was a freezing rain and after the meeting I slipped on the concrete walkway. Not only did I fracture my skull, I got a whooping for running.

Never call anyone by their first name, it was always Brother or Sister so and so.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

regarding the brother and sister in service rule:

Wow, at least they got to go out. 1st time this happened to me, the brother refused to go in service with me. The second time (not wanting to be as rude, but following the apparent "rules"O I offered the brother (different brother) to come on a RV with me and we could drive seperate. Tough times pioneering.

• exwitless
    exwitless

Arrive at least 20 minutes early and stay at least 20 minutes late to "fellowship" with the "friends". (I hated when they said we should "fellowship" with each other; that doesn't even make grammatical sense.)

Always sit in a different seat at each meeting so you can broaden out and get to know others in the congregation. Interestingly, the elder who gave this admonition was a major creature of habit and always sat in the exact same seat every single meeting for years and years. Inner isle seat fourth row from the platform.

Don't even think about sitting in the back row unless you're 15 minutes late for the meeting and have 10 kids. Maybe they'll let you sit in the back instead of parading you to the front row where no one else wanted to sit (except the over-eager sister who always sat front and center and took extensive notes at every meeting).

No gum or candy.

Brothers were not allowed to even run mics without having a jacket on. Never mind that there were times the AC wasn't working, and of course there were no windows, and it was 90 degrees in the KH. If you ran a mic, you had to have a jacket on.

When LDB and I were still just studying, we were dating, and had been for years before starting our brainwashing sessions. But when we started coming to the meetings regularly, we were "counseled" that we shouldn't be arriving together in the same car since we weren't married. It would set a bad example to the teenagers in the congregation. Gee, I guess the fact that we studied regularly and came to meetings regularly pretty early on and even started commenting at the meetings wasn't near enough of a good example to the others. How stumbling it must have been for others to see us arrive together in the same car! Oh my god, what were we thinking? By the way, we didn't live together before we got married-I just lived a little farther away from the KH than LDB did so I'd just drive to his apartment and we'd go to the KH together in his car. Besides, walking in to the KH together was so much less intimidating to me than having to walk in alone when I was new to "da troof".

Don't clap when someone gets reinstated. Do clap when someone becomes an unbaptized publisher. Do clap for the auxiliary pioneers who had been "approved" for the "privilege" this month. I refused to clap for them, because I felt it was against everything else we had been told about 'just doing your personal best' and not 'comparing yourself to others' and 'everybody's circumstances are different', blah blah blah. If I was going to clap for them, then they should have had to clap for my 10 hours a month when I worked full time, struggled horribly with narcolepsy (then undiagnosed and not treated), had a child with health problems, a husband, a house to keep up, etc.

Sorry about my ramblings. Sometimes it just feels good to vent.

• four candles
    four candles

Wow!!!! Reading this made me realise just how lax our cong was,we had none of those rules......I even wore patchouli oil whilst giving a talk once!! Rebel or what??

Althought he curcuit did state that Bros with beards could not give assembly talks. We just used common sense.

• calico
    calico
    ......I even wore patchouli oil whilst giving a talk once!! Rebel or what??

That would be a riot--to limit the type of perfume that you wear! Maybe they would have an elder at the door that would sniff you and either approve or dissaprove! So funny!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit