What Stupid Rules Did Your Congregation Have?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

I remember that brothers giving a part from the platform had to wear a suit....matching slacks and jacket. No dress slacks/sports jacket of different colors allowed.

I remember one brother back in 1970 or so who wasn't allowed to give his talk on the assembly until he changed his slacks...his brand new dress suit had flared pants.

• zeroday
    zeroday

NO sex in the restrooms...I hated that one...

• undercover
    undercover
    NO sex in the restrooms...I hated that one...

haha...but I went to one hall where the elders didn't allow any kind of PDA (public display of affection). No kissing, no hugging, no holdings hands... And I don't mean making out stuff. Simple pecks on the cheeks, holding hands during the meeting, hugging a friend...all out. This stuff lead to fornication you know. And to keep the youth from seeing affection that could lead them into temptation, married couples had to refrain as well, you know...set a good example. I had forgotten about that until your post jogged my memory.

• minimus
    minimus

They think they're the fashion police.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

It was amazing how much time an effort went into where people sit at the meetings.

Like many other congregations we had rules about not sitting in the library, not sitting in the last few rows, sitting with your family. We had more than a few elders' meetings discussing the fine points of where to sit. And, how the location of where you plop you ass down is a reflection of your spirituality.

I learned that if I sat outside the peripheral vision of the PO during the elders' meeting I would be volunteered for less work.

• minimus
    minimus

2 people show up for service----male and female. One has to sit in the back.

• undercover
    undercover
    2 people show up for service----male and female. One has to sit in the back.

We didn't have that rule...but others that moved from other congregations did.

I remember offering a ride to a pioneer sister to her home...she had no car and her mom had already left thinking she was getting a ride from another sister.

No one thought twice about me offer...it was on my way, but she was very nervous about it. She got in the back seat and I asked if there was a problem and she said no, it was just how it was done in her old congregation. I told her it wasn't in done here, but she didn't budge.

Then again...maybe she just didn't like me but needed the ride home.

• StAnn
    StAnn

The P.O. monitored book study attendance. If you had higher attendance at your book study on "goodie night", your goodie night privileges were revoked because your group was coming to the book study for the wrong reasons.

StAnn

• minimus
    minimus

Wow!

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

StAnn, so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those elders had to know they were BORING! They were insecure about the fact that anything would be more of a reason to go to the meeting than to hear their rants. How about the RULE about showing up to the meeting 20 minutes early!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit