Britain Olympics shock

by slimboyfat 41 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Spot the rattled ozzie on the thread.

• james_woods
    james_woods

BTW, has anyone hear from former 8-gold winner Mark Spitz on this new record (or is he still alive)?

I hate to say it, given what they accomplished for the U.S., but Spitz, Bobby Fisher, Carl Lewis, and Lance Armstrong should have all stayed far, far, far away from the camera and microphone after their wins. That goes for Greg Louganis as well.

IMHO, of course. Maybe this new guy will prove to be the exception to the rule of Olympic Gold - like Muhamad Ali.

• Simon
    Simon

Spitz has commented on the achivement and was very positive about it.

I do think that swimming has far too many events though - it's an amazing achivement but Carl Lewis is, for me, still the greatest regular olympian.

Imagine how many he'd have won if, like swimming, they had the same event with different 'styles' (ok, now run with your arms straight, now run with your arms stretched out ...)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    and if it wasn't for phelps....

Imagine if there were two Phelpses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7569430.stm

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

If Phelps were a country, it would have as many gold medals as Russia.

• jakmarx
    jakmarx

well it is "great" britain what else did you expect. Another example of quality over quantity.. lol just kidding

• slimboyfat
  • RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Simon: you are tired.

So am I.

YOU must've been out in the same damn intense desert-heat I was the past few days.

Anyways, as of 05:47 a.m. (EST) Canada has 13 medals.

Simon, you're staring into the Bow River again - what are you looking at? Tsk! Tsk!

Anyways, some nations tend to do better in the 2cnd week; typical with Canada.

We've surpassed Athens 2004 medal total; not Atlanta's.

Simon, you are correct: Canada's Winter Olympic medal count is superb; we were 3rd overall at Turin, Italy.

As far as Great Britain - I remember how much flack the folks in the U.K. took over the 1996 showing. People, give it a rest! Sometimes, some years - it's good / it's bad.

What's our population now? 33-34 million (Canada). Consider many factors; and other variables that enhance or negate a nation's performance and you can see why they do well - or poorly.

But I think the United Kingdom/Great Britain is doing well and I think my fellow Canucks would tell them to keep the Strongbow on-ice until all the nay-sayers have taken an enema.

Brits: ENJOY!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I find it amusing: I just noticed UK news websites are ranking nations on the basis of how many golds they have got, that places us third, instead of total number of medals which would put us in fourth place behind Russia.

But some American news sites are ranking nations by total number of medals, that puts them slightly ahead of China, whereas they are way behind China on the number of golds.

And the poor old Australians are presumably still trying to devise a table system that puts them ahead of Great Britain.

RankCountryGoldSilverBronzeTOTAL
    1China45152181
    2USA27282883
    3Great Britain17111139
    4Russia14141846
    5Australia11131337
  • reniaa
    reniaa

good post slimboyfat :) i think GB is just having a much needing up after the erm footie disappointment ahem say no more lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit