Watchtower deception regarding the TRINITY

by jwfacts 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

It must be noted that the trinity doctrine was introduced after the death of the apostles and early Christians. Even then, it took centuries to define and to refine this teaching. It caused not only the rift between the trinitarians and arians in the 4th century, but the specifics of it became a controversy between the Catholic and Orthodox branches of Christendom. And all through this historical period it was rejected by various religious groups.

What bothers me most is that some Christians insist that it is the "central doctrine of Christianity." They believe without this teaching one can not be a Christian. To me this seems to be the same mentality of the Watchtower Society who insists that only its way is "the truth."

Trinitarians are not beyond deception either. One only has to consider the insertion of l John 5:7 in the older versions of the Bible or the treatment of John 1:18 in the newer ones. I certainly don't defend the Watchtower's notorious mishandling of quotes in its publications. But there is enough blame to spread around to include others.

• reniaa
    reniaa

Reniaa , I have found that most people do not know the intricacies of the Trinity, nor do they care. I was explaining the Witness stance once to my boss and he said, but they (father/son/spirit) are different, and they are the same. That is the great wonder of God. That is why I no longer think it matters how people understand God. The Bible is certainly not clear about the relationship of Father and Son, and we as humans have no logical ability to understand the spirit dimension at any rate. So to me tolerance of others understanding is more important.

I did see a trinity discussion on here showing how cs lewis managed to persuade himself towards the trinity and ended up basically saying the same as you...that its a wonderful mystery, But it's not a mystery how it came about... even the smallest investigation of the internet shows the trinity is just not a bible teaching at all!, no scripture absolutely defines the trinity not even using the word trinity or saying 3 in one, it's ironic then that you cite "jehovah" as a example against the Jws because it at least does appear in the OT bible and so has more legal right than the trinity. If you took both to a court battle I know which would win.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Reniaa,

Your argumentation is completely incorrect. The word Jehovah did not appear in the NT, so to add it in and pretend it was there is absolute dishonesty. The result is that it changes the word of God and affects the meaning of key passages.

On the otherhand, the word Trinity is not falsely added to the bible, it is a term to distinguish a doctrine. In similar fashion the WTS uses many terms not used in the Bible to assist in identifying their doctrine. For example, disfellowship and Governing Body. The word disfellowship does not appear, but is used to simply identify a doctrine. Similarly, the word Trinity does not appear, but is used to distinguish a doctrine from many competing theories regarding the Nature of God, included the WTS's Arian based concept and Modalism.

The relevant question is not whether the word Trinity appears, but whether the Trinity doctrine is a fair representation regarding the Nature of God, as found in the Bible. There are many detailed works outlining why the Trinity is the most accurate concept regarding the Nature of God, which arose due to the New Testament describing Jesus as Jehovah. (ie, OT Scriptures regarding Jehovah being quoted as applying to Jesus, and Jesus being referred to as God in the New Testament)

• goingthruthemotions

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit