Am I being paranoid?

by Mandette 20 Replies latest jw friends

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

If you're not DFd of DAd then is it possible for you to have the book sent to another nearby library? Witnesses have an obligation to report wrong doing, you know, and I don't think its paranoid to make sure she doesn't see you actually checking out the book - could end up in front of the elders. You only have to read Crisis of Conscence to know how true that is.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Here in Pennsylvania there is an excellent system by which a person can basically get any book from any library in the state (that participates in the program, and most do). It usually can take about a week or two for your book to arrive. I don't know what they have in Michigan but I'm sure it's similar. Give it some time. It would be huge violation of policy for a JW working at the library to hold back your request and I doubt very much that this would have taken place (not impossible, i just doubt it). Go back and check if it's been to long.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Well, if the witless is actually doing anything to limit your access to apostate material, I bet the library manager would like to know about it. Usually, that is a good way for them to get fired.

• rebel8
    rebel8

No, you aren't paranoid. This stuff does happen. I remember talking about it in the past, here is one thread I think: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/128260/2270897/post.ashx#2270897

Today I no longer donate Crisis of Conscience to libraries because it has such a narrow audience and is likely to be stolen. C of C is not really understandable to anyone who hasn't been a jw, and what percentage of the library patrons would that be? I've directed my efforts and $ at prevention--meaning my intent is to reach the general public with a warning about the dangers of cults.

It's interesting that even your request to borrow it may have been intercepted.

I used to distribute lots of cult education info in public areas, and it was often intercepted. There is a grocery store that mysteriously removes Silent Lambs palm cards within minutes of me putting them up, every time, even if no employee is in view when I post them. All the cards say is "protect children" and a URL--nothing offensive or shocking--doesn't even say molestation or jws. To me, this indicates the person(s) removing them KNOW what it is.

"Too often the idea is, 'Free speech for me—but not for thee.'"
    Source: Official Watchtower Web Site, hypocrisy at its finest
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/19960722/article_01.htm

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I ordered it through a local book store under another name. Picked it up on a Thursday night after 730pm and paid cash. That's paranoid!.

• whitman
    whitman

Once I was researching break-dancing. I went to the state library and took note of all break-dancing books. Then I wandered over to the shelves to check the books out. Every single book was gone!! This is not a borrowing library. Only research could be done there. It was a Sunday afternoon and the library was empty.

Finally I managed to find a book just on dance which had a section on break-dancing. I flipped open the book..... and the entire chapter on break-dancing had been ripped out!! Coincidence?? I think not!!

This is a true and disturbing story. Who knows what people lurk about and prevent us from accessing books we need....

• wednesday
    wednesday

I purchased a deck of tarot cards at a bookstore. The clerk was afraid to touch them and stated singing and praying to Jesus.

• Mandette
    Mandette

Thank you all for your imput. I've been offline for a few days and am now just catching up.

I'm only faded. It's been about 15 yrs so I doubt they'd bother. Well maybe they would. Dad is an elder and I know(Isaw it personally as a teenager) there are elders who can't stand him. I think they'd mess with me to attack him. This is not being paranoid since I saw it myself.

Another interesting note is that I looked for Steve Hassan's book on cults and could not find that either. In fact if I remember correctly there's only one book on coming out of the JW's and that's in the fiction section. I only saw the listing,not the actual book so it may not really be there either. And this library I go to is a fairly big one.

Makes me wonder what they're so afraid of if they make books disappear!!! Oh and didn't Hitler have books burned during WWII??? Just a thought!

Mandette

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Your Paranoid go back on the meds!

• Mandette
    Mandette

Witness007

You're right!! Thank you for reminding me.......giggle I'm taking them right now......

Mandette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit