Dearest Simon...please help some of our old (and banned) friends.....

by oompa 49 Replies latest jw friends

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

Layla, my understanding from that was that some very nasty people on a vile site I won't name used those methods on their own forum(s) -- reading PMs, tracking people's IPs, viewing their info, etc. I am fairly certain that no breach has occurred here at JWD, but rather these haters have been around for years doing their "thing" elsewhere (just one more reason not to register there, folks!). If I have missed something and there has been an actual breach here, I would really like to know that because it is a threat to us all. I don't think that's the case though.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Layla wrote: For people to go through the amount of trouble they went through, I really believe some type of IP address and database violation had to occur. I deduced that some type of breach happened on this site, from this message:

There are a number of people who have absolutely violated the privacy of others, caused problems in their off-line lives and appear to have used information sent in PMs on other forums and possibly email addresses and passwords used to register on the other site to do this. I believe that an offer I received by email to buy the domain name and database was from them and part of why they want it is to continue their abusive behaviour.

Really?? From that quote you make the following conclusion:

Why were these people banned? I also would like to know who were the poster or posters that stole the database with our information. This is completely out of control. I still can't believe it has gotten this out of hand...

C'mon!! You are really reading waayyy too much into this. Have you been around long? The violation of peoples private lives - I can name five instances right off the bat. Two involve Richie (a poster called his elders; another poster called his work to and made inquiries last year); a poster read of an elder who was involve in a drunk driving accident and killed a girl (the poster did a little internet research and called the guy's employer to give him an earful about JW elders); Simon just told us that people were threatening him, his family and had contacted his employer; another poster was outed after a attending an apostafest and this caused much trouble with his family. I know there have been others stemming from info voluntarily sent via private message to people they don't know. For some reason they trusted the person but the recipient used that info against the sender. SOOO. Just what do you think is out of control?? Where did you come up with the idea that personal data has been stolen?? You sound like you've been hanging around the 'other' board a little too much. -Aude.

• free2beme
    free2beme

How can it be considered a game.

1. This sounds like someone trying to get people back in to allow them to be negative and rude again, with a false pretense of forgiveness.

2. Not something new, or not seen before.

3. I read some post at JWO ... holy shit, you would have to be stupid to let that element even remotely back in.

• nameless_one
    nameless_one

free2beme, I think there are two (or more LOL) conversations going on in this thread. I agree 100000% percent that JWO is a cesspool, and that letting rude nasty troublemakers back here is a horrible idea that shouldn't happen. But the two people mentioned in the original post of this thread -- changeling and beksbks -- have nothing to do with JWO and are not hateful pot-stirrers.

I'm just saying, I think it should be considered to allow those two specific individuals to return. NOT any of the nasty haters.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The database here has not been stolen or compromised.

The references that were cited above refer to other boards - not this one.

Simon also expressed concern that if he handed the forum over to others there might not be the level of privacy that he sees as necessary for a discussion board like this one. And I agree with him 100% on that

As for letting some posters in and not others - I doubt Simon will do that.

Posters are setting up sites elsewhere so there is no real need for them to come back here to say good-bye. They can go to the new sites and say Hello.

Isn't that better?

• nameless_one
    nameless_one
    The database here has not been stolen or compromised.

The references that were cited above refer to other boards - not this one.

Simon also expressed concern that if he handed the forum over to others there might not be the level of privacy that he sees as necessary for a discussion board like this one. And I agree with him 100% on that

Thank you, Lady Lee. That was my interpretation and understanding; the confirmation is appreciated.

• oompa
    oompa

Free2be: How can it be considered a game.

1. This sounds like someone trying to get people back in to allow them to be negative and rude again, with a false pretense of forgiveness.

3. I read some post at JWO ... holy sh!t, you would have to be stupid to let that element even remotely back in.

Very good point....Changeling and Beksbks are NOT part of "THAT ELEMENT" and negative and rude are not their history.

Nameless one: But the two people mentioned in the original post of this thread -- changeling and beksbks -- have nothing to do with JWO and are not hateful pot-stirrers.

I'm just saying, I think it should be considered to allow those two specific individuals to return. NOT any of the nasty haters.

Thanks Nameless....a home run.

Lady Lee:

As for letting some posters in and not others - I doubt Simon will do that.

Posters are setting up sites elsewhere so there is no real need for them to come back here to say good-bye. They can go to the new sites and say Hello.

Isn't that better?

Lady....unless I am mistaken.....there have always been different levels of "punishment" here for "crimes" committed. Why should that change now? If a slap on the wrist will suffice for long-time positive posters.....why ban them along with the real trouble makers? An answer to these questions would be appreciated. Also, I strongly dissagree about your just saying good-bye point.....there is more to it than that. There is a very good chance that one of these posters was helping others here through pm's....and is now cut off from that. They may or may not find their old JWD friends on a new site................I guess I kinda like Justice and Mercy!!!........softie here.............oompa

• Angharad
    Angharad
    I also would like to know who were the poster or posters that stole the database with our information. This is completely out of control. I still can't believe it has gotten this out of hand..

I know Lady Lee answered this but it needs repeating THE DATEBASE HERE HAS NOT BEEN STOLEN OR HACKED IN ANY WAY

• Layla33
    Layla33
    C'mon!! You are really reading waayyy too much into this. Have you been around long? The violation of peoples private lives - I can name five instances right off the bat. Two involve Richie (a poster called his elders; another poster called his work to and made inquiries last year); a poster read of an elder who was involve in a drunk driving accident and killed a girl (the poster did a little internet research and called the guy's employer to give him an earful about JW elders); Simon just told us that people were threatening him, his family and had contacted his employer; another poster was outed after a attending an apostafest and this caused much trouble with his family. I know there have been others stemming from info voluntarily sent via private message to people they don't know. For some reason they trusted the person but the recipient used that info against the sender. SOOO. Just what do you think is out of control?? Where did you come up with the idea that personal data has been stolen?? You sound like you've been hanging around the 'other' board a little too much.

Again, I don't know what happened, I was away from the board for about a week, when I came back I was trying to understand what had happened. There is no "other board". I was concerned about what happened to Simon and when I read about someone looking up IP addresses and getting information, I also assumed that the database was broken into, or some realm where people's private information has been jepordized. I was very concerned about that. This has happened to me before and when someone may have gotten a hold of any personal information, you are always wondering how or what happened, that's what happened in this case.

I haven't even been posting on here for a year. I joined in 2005, but only started posting in Jan. I don't know enough about all the things that go on nor do I even pay attention to all the arguments, debates, etc. I have no idea what JWO is or anything like that.

What do I think is out of control?? The fact that there is a faction of posters on here that are hateful and cruel enough to steal people's information and harass them. The fact that hateful and cruel and obviously deranged people would harass the owner of this site to the point where he has to close down. And for what he has found out, how many other's could possibly be doing the same thing. What I do know is that it is not just this site, in my time online I have seen FIVE forums have some of the same thing happen.

I have a right to be concerned and if there is something I need clarification on that's fine, but don't tell me I don't have the right to ask questions or understand what has happened. And yes, I will be concerned about anyone that went as far as looking up IP addresses and getting information on anyone in this forum, because that anyone can be you or me or anyone else.

I don't know anything about why people were banned, and again, how did that get so out of control?? I just asked the question, because I don't know any of what went on. I post on here, but goodness, I don't live on here or do I follow any one person or event.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit