Tell Simon why we want JWD to stay... our apprecaition...

by burningbridges 38 Replies latest forum announcements

• blondie
    blondie

I wish that JWD could continue under the guidance of a small group of mods and competent computer geeks. That could give Simon and his family the rest they need. I just hope it doesn't come under the control of those with less than admirable motives. JWD is now more than Simon, it is us.

Blondie

• StAnn
    StAnn

I wish that JWD could continue under the guidance of a small group of mods and competent computer geeks. That could give Simon and his family the rest they need. I just hope it doesn't come under the control of those with less than admirable motives. JWD is now more than Simon, it is us.

Blondie

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Rather than turn the board over to an individual, Simon, could you turn it over to a large group, say 15-25 people? You could back out and let the others run it. You could post an on-line application for people who would like to be part of the group and hand pick them. Although I understand your reasoning, and I know how "old" it can get dealing with ex-JW issues, if there is a way to keep this forum running, please be open to it. Regardless of what you finally do, here's a heartfelt "thank you" for all you have done and how much of your life you have given to helping others. God bless you! StAnn

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I promise not to post this everywhere. This is the 2nd and last time I post the following
    exact information that I posted elsewhere.

JWD is bigger than my problems. It is bigger than your problems. It is bigger than Simon's problems.
    Archives aren't going to be much use to most people. JWD is a living fast-paced site. For anyone who's
    looking for information, they are better off at other sites like freeminds or jwfacts. Printed or archived
    information is great, but that's not what JWD is about.

JWD is a place where a JW can still be anonymous and they can hear that others questioned things.
    JWD is a place to start realizing that it's okay to leave the WT organization. It's okay to question things.

When a sports stadium is sold, the old owners have no say in what the name of the place will become.
    They have no say in what color they will paint the walls, nor what will be charged for tickets.
    Do you know- they just take the money from the sale and get over it.

When a skyscraper is sold, it may no longer carry the same old name of the founding company.
    It may carry some brand-spanking new name. The old owners lose something, but they needed to sell
    it, so they take their money and get over the loss. They mourn their business loss, but recognize
    that it was just business and get over it.

If JWD were shut down and the domain name were sold, then it would effectively be destroyed.
    People would be gone already, finding a new place that isn't quite home, but they would go on.
    If the domain name is worth something, couldn't the active site be worth 10 times something?
    What the current owner has to do is get over the fact that his baby could go elsewhere. So what if
    someone else is able to change it, jazz it up, moderate better or worse? So what? Get over it.
    Just sell the whole dog and pony show.

A new owner could change things, but so could the old owner. We are not talking about Babe Ruth
    being traded to the Yankees or Brett Favre going to the NY Jets after an entire career in Wisconsin.
    Yes, there is some emotional attachment, but Brett had some say so. A discussion forum doesn't
    care who runs it. It will play for any team that owns it. So the owner should seriously consider
    making the most money out of this forum possible, and accepting that new ownership could mean
    that the baby is gone, but lives on in some other form. Just get over emotional attachments and
    make business decisions.

I will get over the loss. So will anyone else involved. But it is a shame, an unnecessary shame.
    Just keep JWD alive by selling it. Just get over the personal loss and take the money and run.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I don't want JWD to stay. I want Simon to have peace of mind. Nobody should have to put up with the garbage that Simon has been dealing with.

I've been through some of what Simon's going through, and it sucks. It's incredibly stressful, and if I were in his place, I probably wouldn't do a slow shutdown like he's doing. I would probably give everyone a week to say their goodbyes and take the whole damn thing down.

I must say, I think Simon is a saint for doing such a slow shutdown of JWD. He's not leaving everyone out to dry. He's giving everyone fair warning, letting them plan, swap contact information, and decide where we're going to go. I think he deserves much thanks for being tolerant with his personal situation and with our own personal and emotional attachment to this place. He's doing what's best for him and what's best for us. Christ, I sound like a JW putting their faith in Jehovah and his erflee organization!

But seriously, Simon realizes the thousands of members that he's carrying with this site. To dump them off in one full swoop would be too Jehovah-like. Instead, he's making sure you all get off the boat safely before taking it out of the water and putting it on display in a museum for all to fondly remember.

• Vinny
    Vinny

Gnat says:.."Simon did consider it, at length, and rejected the idea. He has very, very good reasons not to do so. It has nothing to do with legalities. It has to do with a certain group of internet predators (not the eeevil Governing Body, but twisted ex-JW's) who would torment whoever took it over."

ONLY EX-JW'S CAN TRULY UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS TO BE AN EX-JW. Which is why this site is so important today.

The WT Society continues to wreck lives Simon... as you well know.

In my opinion, it would be a very bad idea to close down this site altogether.

SO MUCH INFORMATION IS FOUND ON THIS WEBSITE THAT EXPOSES THE WT SOCIETY AS WHAT IT TRULY IS!

It is an invaluable tool used to help people find their ways out.

We all realize it can be a hassle and pain to get somebody to take it over due to your high standards and the concerns already presented on page one.

But Simon, such efforts are worth the rewards in this case.

Let me say that again:

ALL EFFORTS AND HASSLES TO TURN THIS WEBSITE OVER TO DIFFERENT OWNERSHIP ARE WORTH THE REWARDS/BENEFITS IN THIS CASE!!!

Or, Simon, is it possible to simply delegate what you have now to numerous other qualified individuals?

You can let others run the site, as it currently stands, while you have final authority and control. But the day to day operations and hassles be delegated out to other qualified people.

Please find some way to make this work.

It is simply just too valuable not to!

Thanks again!

Vinny

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

So Vinny,

How much are you offering for the site?

HS

• Vinny
    Vinny

$46.00

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    $46.00

Plus taxes? The Lord loves a generous giver. HS

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I always appreciated JWD as the premier one stop shop for anything JW related. If it isn't here, it's probably not worth reading about.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit