Noah's Ark a full time building project, so where did Noah get his food?

by VM44 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

A Haiku for you:

To all those JWD "Jeffros",

with the fingers-in-your-ears pose,

We'll agree to disagree thence,

You willfully ignore the evidence,

your prejudices on display,

what more then can I say?

Search the narrow and cramped road.

BA-

PS- All the other stuff you brought up, Jeffro, has already been beaten to death here and elsewhere. Use the search feature here or Google it, I'll not waste my time beating that dead horse. The thread is about how they had the time and the manpower. As I previously stated, question answered.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    All the other stuff you brought up, Jeffro, has already been beaten to death here and elsewhere.

I realise there are various claims about how various aspects might be conceivable at a stretch, while others are never actually satisfactorily dealt with at all. The fact that you make jibes about my IQ, which has been rated at at least double what you suggested, just demonstrates the true mettle of some 'believers' when their Christ-like love is put to the test.

You may also like to look up the word 'haiku'. Your poem isn't one.

But I'm happy at this point to agree to disagree. Peace.

• VM44
    VM44

The reason that I asked the question that started this thread is that I was thinking that after working to pay the mortgage and buy food (that is already available in a store!) there really isn't very much time left over, certainly not enough time for one to go out and build a huge wooden ship from scratch!

In Noah's time the 4 men and 4 women would also have had full time jobs in order to put food on the table! Hence the question as to where they would have had the time and energy to not just build the Ark, but to also obtain and fashion the materials used to build it.

Also, they would have had to grow, or collect, enough food and water to last them and all the animals to be in the Ark for about a year.

Logistically, could all of the required work have been done by 8 people, even if they had 120 years to do it?

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Hi VM44,

In case you are serious (which it doesn't seem you are, at least this time), let me see if I can answer your question in more detail:

The reason that I asked the question that started this thread is that I was thinking that after working to pay the mortgage and buy food (that is already available in a store!) there really isn't very much time left over, certainly not enough time for one to go out and build a huge wooden ship from scratch!

Surely you jest! You of course realize that stores and mortgages did not exist at that time. Well, perhaps stores, but of a different sort, such as buildings to "store" food. Again, if you study pre 19th century human life you will find that up to that time work was done by hand, and building a "huge wooden ship" by hand would have been no mre difficult, albeit more time consuming, than building a house ar other building.

In Noah's time the 4 men and 4 women would also have had full time jobs in order to put food on the table! Hence the question as to where they would have had the time and energy to not just build the Ark, but to also obtain and fashion the materials used to build it.

Lol, I can see you are joking, but just for the record, working the land (planting seeds for harvest), shepherding, hunting, trapping and the like are the way humans lived for thousanads of years, not just during noah's time. There's always time left over to build an ark or two if the spirit drives you. Especially with 8 people and lots of time. So, again, in all seriousness, this could have been accomplished in a decade or so, although they had much more time than that it would seem.

Also, they would have had to grow, or collect, enough food and water to last them and all the animals to be in the Ark for about a year.

Again, par for the course in those days.

Logistically, could all of the required work have been done by 8 people, even if they had 120 years to do it?

Like I said, probably could have been accomplished in roughly a decade, but they had much more time. In any case, it is all possible. Once again, an argument for another possibility does not negate the Biblical narrative. The same is true of the other facets of the Noah's Ark story, all which have been attacked and succesfully defended as possible here on JWD and elsewhere on the web.

I chose to respond to this thread to demonstrate that the issues you raised are easily answered. But I have no interest in beating a dead horse regarding what has been answered already by myself and others on other threads and other websites.

Cheers,

BA

• maximumtool
    maximumtool

BA,

Yes, 8 healthy people working full time for 100 years could conceivably build a box to the dimensions specified in the bible. But I have a couple of questions for you...

Why did you personally attack someone simply cause they disagreed with you? (As in proclaiming that they had an IQ that would make them retarded.)

Do you actually believe that the flood story is legitimate?

Is your only point that a group of 8 people could build the physical ark in 100 years, or are you actually proclaiming your belief that these events occurred?

Thanks.

PS - That wasnt a haiku, by the way...you have 4 too many lines, and way too many syllables...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If I give any credence to the Noah story. The Gods from planet Nibiru contacted Noah and made arrangements with him to save the seed of mankind. Most likely they assisted Noah with the ark.

I doubt that there was an attempt to get all mankind into the ark. The ark would not have been big enough.

The ark was sort of like the underground city beneath Washington D.C. a place to save the elite.

But back to your question. If there is no Nibiru, planet X and the bible is to be believed then I think Noah spent quite a few years building the ark.

They probably didnt have tv back then so that would have given them an extra 5 hours a day to work on the ark x 40 years and weekends. They probably could have done it.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

If the biblical account is to be accepted as factual, people weren't eating meat at all at this point (Genesis chapter 9). All the food gathered would be fruits, vegetables and grains. At least that means they wouldn't have to spend time actually hunting for food, but without any meat, they'd need quite a bit of food just to survive day to day. In addition, they'd need to gather a year's worth of food, and presumably water unless they had some ingenious (and conveniently unmentioned) method of collecting the rainwater without sinking the vessel. Of course, most of that food would rot during their year in the ark, let alone storing it prior to the rain starting to fall.

Also, there were allegedly 2 of every 'unclean' animal (even if we reduce this to the Sociey's 'kinds' model, it's still a lot, many of which they wouldn't be able to source locally anyway) as well as 14 of the 'clean' ones. Of the 'unclean' animals, every single pair would need to procreate at least once while on the ark and/or survive the ordeal themselves, particularly if the carnivorous animals were to have anything to eat.

Of course, at every juncture, there is always the magic 'god can do anything' explanation. But if we accept the flood story as factual, then for a god who 'desires none to be destroyed', he did a spectacularly bad job.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

BA,

Yes, 8 healthy people working full time for 100 years could conceivably build a box to the dimensions specified in the bible. But I have a couple of questions for you...

Why did you personally attack someone simply cause they disagreed with you? (As in proclaiming that they had an IQ that would make them retarded.)

Do you actually believe that the flood story is legitimate?

Is your only point that a group of 8 people could build the physical ark in 100 years, or are you actually proclaiming your belief that these events occurred?

Thanks.

PS - That wasnt a haiku, by the way...you have 4 too many lines, and way too many syllables...

Please note that I said they had up to 100 years between Gen 5 & 6 to build the Ark. It could have been accomplished in much less time. As for gathering enough food for the time on the ark, it was (and still, for some cultures, is) common to store food, enough for a year, or in the case of the Egyptians for example, years. There is nothing impossible about anything in the Biblical narrative.

Anyone with good reading comprehension would note what I stated about the 100 year period being a maximum, not the actual time it took to complete the Ark. So now as usual on this forum I am forced to repeat myself to defend what I already stated to those who don't comprehend what they read. Such is the norm here. Again, this also the case with the IQ statement made previously. Note the word "if". Nuff said?

Of course the flood story is legitimate. These events actually occured. Correct. 100s of pages have already been dedicated to answering that question. Again, if you choose to disbelieve, alternative explanations can be bandied about ad nausem. But the fact remains that everything the Bible describes happened, and will happen, and no serious proof that these things did not or could not occur has ever been advanced, only alternative theories and prejudiced viewpoints based on an agenda of Bible Bashing.

BA- Faithful.

PS- On the Haiku, yes, of course, I should have called it a poem as it is not a 5-7-5 syllable, 3 line Haiku. I have a black eye on that one, true. I'm all better now, though!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Brother Apostate:

Again, this also the case with the IQ statement made previously. Note the word "if".

If you are not a complete moron, you know that your sarcastic conditional clauses were intended to be insulting, and any attempt to mask them with semantics is futile. (As opposed to my usage here, which is an illustrative example to help you understand your dichotomy.)

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

There is one important issue when analyzing the validity of the ark story and that concerns the dietary needs of the select species for the entire duration

of the event. It is known that if a specie were to abruptly change its dietary intake most of them will get sick quickly and die. To even consider that people of that time

would known about this very fact is laughable at most and preposterous of an idea, added too that these animals would be guarantied in very small confined

quarters.

Could Noah and his family survive this event on stored rations that they kept on board is not really of importance, my guess is that this could very well be accomplished.

Its the animals that have to be put into question and scrutinized with critical thinking and evaluation.

Human and animal biology has not changed so dramatically to a discernible difference when considering the validity of the ark story, its probability of it ever happened

is weaken by so many known facts that we have required over the centuries, biology being the most important.

The only truthful conclusion that can be drawn out of this event is that this is an imaginary story derived from mythology, one of many that is so contained in the bible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit