Parental FAILURE.

by easyreader1970 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

she actually said she'd just "have moe kids"? what a dick, saywhat. i wouldnt know how to react to something like that.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

This is an interesting topic. Sad to say many parents have grown children who have become succesful in the "world" and these JW parents are embarrased about this. One example I know of is a black woman whose only child a son ended up going to college and is now a principle in a school and a good family man and she is upset because in her words, "he never did anything in the troof"

So sad that these people can't even feel proud of their children.

LD

• Blasty
    Blasty

I think there is a lot of room for parental failure for sure, but the WTBTS ideas of how far that extends is definately whack.

I remember being about 8 years old, and realized that my parents were idiots that I couldn't count on. And the reason they were idiots had nothing to do with the Org. They just couldn't see past their own lives to take responsibility for the children they brought into this world.

Thank goodness my Grandparents stepped up and took care of me.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Regarding LDs comments: I would bet that secretly 'some' are proud (maybe not the woman you talked about) but may be scarred to admit it to others. Have to maintain the show of solidarity to the brethren!

If I never had my doubts, and continued on the stepstool and made elder, then had a son or daughter who became left and became a doctor (or whatever) ; I would still be very proud.

But, yes. It's all sad.

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

My Dad was an Elder and Presiding Overseer of the Congregation. I left home for good at sixteen, and my Dad was demoted to Ministerial Servent after years of being an Elder. Because he "couldn't lead his family" he supposedly "couldn't lead the congregation". That made him disown me, his son. I was never baptised or disfellowshipped. I attended the memorial 6 months after I left home, and they chose that night to announce from the platform that I was no longer a Publisher. All of my friends names were announced the same night. I have no idea how that was relevant to the Memorial Observance of Christ.

The Society really punishes parents for not keeping their children in the fold.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Beyond words how inappropriate that was. So sorry.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

The WBTS basically says that if your child does not grow up a productive members of Jehovah's Witnesses, in spite of everything else they may be capable of achieving, you FAIL as a parent.

At the risk of sounding loyal to the organizaiton, I'll say that its not the WBTS that says this but the people in the organization that twist things around so much that they can't see straight.

I've heard a witness complain about their niece and nephew not getting baptized until they were 17. No joy that they became baptized, just criticism that it "took them so long."

When I was finishing up my study of the United in Worship book after I was baptized the conductor had her gilead bound sister conduct my study. That sister told me on my study that I wasn't doing enough - that I had to pioneer. Even after I said, I was just baptized and so I'm auxiliary pioneering until September comes, she said uh, huh, you need to be pioneering. Oh, how I would like to go back and tell her off. No appreciation that I came into the "Truth" with unbelievable opposition and lack of support like no one I ever met in the organization. supporting myself on a high school (no trade school) education, whereas she lived with her husband's family and before that had been supported by her own her were all Witnesses.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Yeah, my mother breaks my heart with how guilty she feels. She cries a lot and says how she did the best she could but yet she failed (3 out of 4 kids not JW's). I hate it! We are all successful in our lives, but the non-JW stuff isn't worth sh*t to them!

I just want my mom to be happy too, and she will never be happy unless I am miserable! (i.e. am a JW again)

It's all about the guilt and shame. Like Sir Nose (I think) says it's good for business.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Yep, my anointed stepdad thinks he's a failure since I'm an apostate! LOL

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Beta Male said: she actually said she'd just "have moe kids"? what a dick, saywhat. i wouldnt know how to react to something like that.

Believe it, Beta, my mother has said something similar to that on more than one occasion to my siblings and me, separately, not to all of us together. The first few times it really hurt, but now I know she is just trying to protect herself since her own beliefs are actually that she is going to lose her own children and how sad that makes her feel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit