Most JW's Really Hate Going to the Conventions/Assemblies. Some Admit It.

by OnTheWayOut 29 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So the wife and I met up with an old friend. The woman actually grew up around my
    wife, I knew her as a young adult. She lives in a different state, is married now, has
    two children- one is less than a year old.

We met up with them because they are going to a District Convention that was not too
    far off our trail as we were traveling. We were going to the Assembly Hall area for the
    foreign language District Convention. (My wife is at it right now.) So anyway, the mother
    of two says that she already attended the convention with her family so they could take
    care of the children while she paid attention. Now she is attending with her husband so
    she can take care of the children while he pays attention. They both admit they now
    hated conventions- so difficult with children.

They wouldn't admit more because they remembered that I am not attending. Still, it
    amazes me that they hate going, but the wife goes MORE so everyone can pay attention.
    It's just such cult programming. You might actually start WORLDLY thinking if you don't
    fully get to pay attention each and every year.

My mother says she hates going. She says there's never any real NEW stuff and it's
    so hard to sit there for one day, let alone three. I imagine by next year (if not this year) she
    will only go to one day of the conventions. (Sunday, so she can have the precious drama and
    learn about all the book releases from the previous days.)

My wife still acts like she loves it. The thing is- she loves meeting old friends and catching up
    with them. She loves going out to dinner with them. I don't think she loves the program at all.
    When she thought I was still a believer, she admitted it was hard to pay attention all that time.

If they announced 4-day conventions for next year (they are not), the audience would clap as
    they are supposed to. If they announced only 2-day conventions, they would clap louder.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

I believe that it is only the most ardent Watchtower Witnesses who thoroughly enjoy the programs. The programs are exremely monotonous affairs with pre-canned, pre-planned, and pre-scripted material that lacks true human feeling. Even the interviews are tightly rehersed and controlled charades which appear anything but natural or genuine. Even the music is pre-recorded and carefully selected by Brooklyn. One can find more stimulation and refreshment at a tax auditors conference.

Perhaps the highlight of the whole affair is the "Bible" drama; with it's elementary school-like script and play acting. This is really the only part of the convention that children get to look forward to. There is really nothing specifically designed for children or the younger ones to engage with. The conventions are a "one size fits all" program of manuscript reading and mechanical, robot-like interviews of people who are carefully screened and coached through the dialogues. It is safe to say that not a lot of brain synapses are firing during such a weekend.

It is no mystery why the programs move not only the children to be lulled to sleep, but half of the adult audience. It looks as if Ambien has met its match.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Good overview of the conventions, JeremyC. The pointlessness of it all is trully mind-blowing; that so many thousands of people go every year to partake in the most redundant series of lectures is amazing. As a kid growing up, they were the most stressful time of year. This last one was the first I didn't go to--ever--and it sounds like I didn't miss much. THey issued two new books, but from the sound of it they're just re-packaged Awake! material.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Its more like a social affair....

My mother-in law you can ask her about the Assembly, so what did you learn...

Well, let me get my notes....but i saw.....and....and then the blanks were there....

and that's all you get out of her...because nothing is new under the Sun...lol

h40

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The JWs today have it much easier with the conventions. When I left in 1984 they were still doing 4 and 5 day DCs. In fact in 1969 my family and I attended a 7 day DC at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. Nevertheless, I always hated going to the JW conventions no matter how many days long. They were a complete waste of good vacation time.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I always regreted going. I could have been doing something more productive. They could have been more enjoyable with a sports bar theme with covenience stands and monitors showing all the games.

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

My Mom and Sister are currently in shock because I am not going to attend...welcome to the real world! I'm feeling my oats tonight...LOL

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

my mom came up from the South 4th of July weekend from where she and her hubby (my stepdad) retired to....came up for a stupid DC in my area......so she could see a lot of her old "friends"....(90% or more who have never bothered to contact her in the 9+ years she has been gone from the area...but I digress)......so she could see her nonJW brother...see me of course... see one of my 2 nonJW brothers and his GF visiting from up north.... killed 2 birds with one stone... (that and I think she knew she would know almost no one at her new location...it would be pretty lonely for 3 days)

Mom went to the DC Friday..but her nonJW relatives all convinced her to play hooky on Saturday and go play with them.... lol... I had to work..but went to a free outdoor concert July 4th with my brother and his GF that evening...... but mom still went on Sunday, even though she admitted to being tired from Friday sitting all day and sightseeing on Sunday....

and yeah..she couldnt tell me anything about the program...but could tell me who she got to see.... yet...when I asked if we were going to get to spend some time together..she said "{Snakes}, if you would come to the convention with me, we would get to spend time together..." My reply? "No, mom, we would spend time sitting next to each other..more likely you falling asleep during the talks in the afternoon.... but no actual interaction during the day..."... she couldnt argue with that....

so I missed out on all the fun this year for the first time.... and i figured out why I didnt hate conventions sooner: Until last year, I always had an assignment, so I didnt have to sit all 3 days listening to that drivel....

Snakes ()

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

I attended the DC during the late 80's as a teen and in the early 90's as a twenty something jackass...however it was kinda cool to meander in the MEAT MARKET at Dodger Staduim......3rd base side, View Level......

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

Ohhhh...also, how about F gate at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego......It back in the late 80's, Gate F was one of the biggest mecca's in Watch Tower History. The Elder's just hated us. I mean during the 1997 DC, They had an all and out reformation, no one under 20 could talk. I actually was told, during lunch that I was to go sit with my family....This was huge. I decided to walk away and they followed me. It was the only mistake I ever made being a witness. I say that becauce, that is when I should have left. I knew damn well they were "haters of happiness" but I just thought ...........JW's can not be that bad...especially the Elders..........guess what?............Yes they RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit