Are Jehovah's Witnesses a Cult?

by digderidoo 29 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I have found these 14 characteristics of a typical cult and below are some questions regarding the behaviour of a cult.

My personal opinion is that the Watchtower Society fits into most of these characteristics, with the exception of 1& 14. Possibly part of number 10 fits, but not all. I feel that all of the questions posed should be asked of JW's and all of the further symptoms apply too.

But i wondered what others think? In particular the newbies who i'm sure come across many calling the society a cult. I have come across many writings like this over the years, it's incredible to me how the operation of the Society seems to befit a cult.

Marcia Rudin's 14 Common Characteristics of a Cult

1. Members swear total allegiance to an all-powerful leader who they believe to be the Messiah.

2. Rational thought is discouraged or forbidden.

3. The cult's recruitment techniques are often deceptive.

4. The cult weakens the follower psychologically by making him or her depend upon the group to solve his or her problems.

5. The cults manipulate guilt to their advantage.

6. The cult leader makes all the career and life decision of the members.

7. Cults exist only for their own material survival and make false promises to work to improve society.

8. Cult members often work fulltime for the group for little or no pay.

9. Cult members are isolated from the outside world and any reality testing it could provide.

10. Cults are anti-woman, anti-child, and anti-family.

11. Cults are apocalyptic and believe themselves to be the remnant who will survive the soon-approaching end of the world.

12. Many cults follow an "ends justify the means" philosophy.

13. Cults, particularly in regard to their finances, are shrouded in secrecy.

14. There is frequently an aura of or potential for violence around cults.

Commentary by Nori J. Muster

If you think you might be involved in a cult, ask yourself some serious questions about the group.

Do you have to change who you are to fit in, please others?
    Do they set up a duality of "us" and "them" and tell you that people outside the group are bad, less important?
    Do they treat "outsiders" badly or talk behind their backs?
    Do they treat members badly?
    Do they give a false impression to the public?
    Do they predict that society is on the brink of destruction?

Further symptoms:

Cult leaders are often psychopathic and power hungry. They teach their followers that the outside world is evil; that the cult offers the only salvation. This creates an atmosphere of isolation, leading to hopelessness.

Cult recruiters target people with low self-esteem, presenting the group as a loving surrogate family. Members are taught to do whatever the family asks. They must repress their individuality and work for the good of the group.

New people may receive red carpet treatment, but once they are established members, they may be exploited and abused. They may alter their personalities to please authority figures and fit into the group.

Cult leaders preach that society is on the brink of destruction, reinforced by isolating their members and controlling the flow of information within the cult. They manipulate members with guilt and fear.

Cults try to portray themselves as benign and may hide undesirable aspects of their operation from the public and from members. Thus the stereotype of "blind" followers.

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

Yes, they're a cult.

• ninja
    ninja

real friendships are never encouraged in a cult....loyalties only go upwards to the leader....once anyone "in the truth" speaks about the governing body possibly being wrong they are instantly marginalised...even if they are close friends or family....try it for yourself lurkers and see

• Domina
    Domina

I am breaking my response into two parts. The 14 points and then the questions. I am fairly new here, and apologize if it all smooshes together. I do not know how you get the breaks in your sentances and paragraphs, and there is not a spot where I can edit. Sorry.

I actually think they fit all 14, and I will pull out my reasoning book for this..

Marcia Rudin's 14 Common Characteristics of a Cult

1. Members swear total allegiance to an all-powerful leader who they believe to be the Messiah.

While it is not a leader... it is Jehovah through the Governing body.. that witnesses swear allegiance to. Messiah means anointed one.

2. Rational thought is discouraged or forbidden.
    everyone probably agrees with this one. If not, look at how many times stances were changed, and the 'faithful' followed the new rules.

3. The cult's recruitment techniques are often deceptive.

The happy people? Do we need to say more?

4. The cult weakens the follower psychologically by making him or her depend upon the group to solve his or her problems.

The mantra I remember is that if I was faithful, I would not have to undergo tribulation. I knew of nothing really outside of the witnesses... and since there was pretty much every type of service through witnesses, I did not feel that I should go outside the faith- even for a doctor, as we had one

5. The cults manipulate guilt to their advantage.

many of us are still fighting that.

6. The cult leader makes all the career and life decision of the members.

no need for higher education. I was called in the back room when I mentioned I wanted to be a nurse, and was warned of a possible private reproof for that desire. Needless to say, the good witness girl did not go to get the extra schooling

7. Cults exist only for their own material survival and make false promises to work to improve society.

They take in about 1 billion a year, not bad for a 'non-profit' organization. Not to mention the buildings that went up/being refurbished into luxury condos in 2005. Wonder if the buy low sell high worked there?

8. Cult members often work fulltime for the group for little or no pay.

Hi, My name is domina... and I worked for a cult full time for 2 years. (crowd responds: hi domina)

9. Cult members are isolated from the outside world and any reality testing it could provide.

This ties into point 10. But most of us are aware of how sheltered we were when we came out, naive even.

This is a very apt point to me. Think of the meeting- children, very small even, are supposed to sit still for 1-2 hours(not including assemblies and conventions.) Women hold a place of subservience, especially with her mate. Families are supposedly close, but if one of them fall from the religion- the whole family is to cut them off like they have died. How is that for unconditional love? I have more examples, but this is getting to be a long reply, sorry lol.

11. Cults are apocalyptic and believe themselves to be the remnant who will survive the soon-approaching end of the world.

What we went door to door to tell everyone about. Sigh... I envied those people I woke up, they got to sleep in

12. Many cults follow an "ends justify the means" philosophy.

Shunning is a very good example of this. I even agreed that I should have been shunned until just recently. Now it pisses me off.

13. Cults, particularly in regard to their finances, are shrouded in secrecy.

I had to dig to see how much they brought home in 2007. Near as I could tell, it was about 1 billion. That is just what I found, and most likely not correct. It is probable that that figure is low.

There is a lot of violence around the witnesses and in the witnesses. Think about all the stories we used to hear about persecution of 'the faithful brothers and sisters in(insert place)'. Also, sexual abuse, spousal abuse, while not talked about is very prevalent. They even coach the congregations what to expect when violence erupts with Armageddon, almost desensitizing them to it.

edited for easier reading -- Lee

• undercover
    undercover

I remember when they published a Watchtower magazine with the cover article asking if JWs are a cult or not (can't remember the exact title...something like, "JWs...cult or true ministers")

Even then when I was still in, I wondered about that magazilne. If you have to publish an entire magainze of articles trying to convince people you're not a cult, then maybe you really are one...

• pmouse
    pmouse

Does twenty pounds of flour make a big biscuit?

• Honesty
    Honesty

The Faithful and Discreet Slave says a cult is....

Therefore, JW's aren't a cult.

Are they?

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Without a doubt, YES.

• oompa
    oompa

been thinking about this since cults are in the news a lot...including Larry King tonight at 900......since they exist....there must be a good description of what they are....very little about this in WT....cause it is too hard to prove WT is not one!......which is easier....to prove they are one....or not one??

not a lot of WT material about it....i bet they hope most will not wonder what really makes a cult a cult...........oompa

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

My personal opinion is that the Watchtower Society fits into most of these characteristics, with the exception of 1 & 14. Possibly part of number 10 fits, but not all.

How would you explain the total allegiance to the WTB&TS?

How would you explain the systematic cover ups of domestic violence against women and sexual abuse of children and the breaking up of families through da'ing and df'ing?

No, there isn't violence, but there is a persistant secrecy (theocratic warfare) which does just as much damage as physical violence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit