There's a crack in everything...

by Confession 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

It's unavoidable... When a JW finds out you no longer believe it's "The Truth," they're eager to jump on flaws in your thinking. They (and formerly, we) want to believe that, when someone leaves, there must have been something that "soured you" to the organization. Some personal thing that resulted in bitterness and therefore your departure.

It's good to be able to say that you didn't leave because of any big scandal or personal affront, isn't it? To be able to say you simply looked at all the evidence and concluded that the Society wasn't what it says it is--due to a rational, objective investigation of the facts--and not because of anything personal. But it's also true that many of our awakenings came (you betcha) right after exactly such a thing. However, for many of us here (me included,) it wasn't any sort of resulting bitterness that sent me packing. It's just that it gave me a good shaking; one that made me realize something wasn't right here. And while previously I allowed the WTS to scare me out of looking at information that challenged them, the only thing my personal experience did was give me permission to look at ALL of the information.

Someone here at JWD once posted the lyrics from a Leonard Cohen song. Here's a portion...

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.

Yes, it's true that inconsistencies associated with the Society's postions on "confession" are what first made me realize something was wrong. It's also true that I didn't really allow my concerns about this to be voiced until I was actually in a Judicial Committee hearing--and that my expression of this concern about confession to the elders was what (I was told) led them to believe I wasn't repentant. But it does no good to debate "confession" with me now--as if in so doing a believing JW will be able to help me see the error of my ways. Presently, the topic of confession means diddly to me. It's just that it was the "crack" that 'let the light in.' It was enough to convince me I should more thoroughly investigate the religion that I'd always accepted--that four generations of my family had devoted their lives to.

And then...that was it. The evidence that the WTS is not "God's sole channel of communication" is overwhelming. There is simply no good reason to believe such a thing. And even if someone chose to believe this--which is, of course, their right--there CERTAINLY is no substantively fair reason to chop someone off from all of their family and social relationships, demonizing them as evil--if they simply disagree.

For any active or questioning JWs out there reading this, it really all does come down to this: No one should threaten you from considering ALL of the information pertaining to an important subject. It is fundamentally and intellectually dishonest to do so. It betrays a lack of confidence in one's own beliefs. And while it may seem that people leave for reasons silly to you, remember that some of those reasons are only the "crack" that let some light in--and led to a sky-high mountain of rock-solid evidence that cannot be ignored.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

This is a great post Confession.

For those out there who have to deal with relatives or friends that try to convince them that their "one" reaon for leaving is trivial... it can be very frustrating.

They don't get the point that "one" little, trivial detail is just part of a huge mountain of facts that prove the WTBS is a fraud.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Confession:

You have my experience expressed perfectly. It was the 1914 Generation change when I felt that moment of being given permission to investigate whatever I wanted about the WTS.

At this point what exactly constitutes the Generation of Matt 24 is a moot point - I think the whole concept is silly. BUT, the mountain of evidence that I uncovered because of that teaching change showed me, as you said, that the WTS is not what it claims to be.

Good post.

S4

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Props for quoting Leonard Cohen. One of my favorite singers and writers of all time. Check out his first three albums, if you haven't. "Songs of Love and Hate" helped me an enormous amount while I was leaving the Org.

• Confession
    Confession

I'm not aware of ever having heard Mr. Cohen's music previously. Just loved that quote...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Confession,

You expressed in a most eloquent way what I was thinking when I made a post about Leonard Cohen's music a couple of months ago.

Leonard was writing and singing when I was a teenager, and in my confused and limited JW mindset I though of Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed and Andy Warhol as pretty much the same thing: a "bad association" to be avoided. And so avoid him I did - for about forty years. Then I happened to catch the program I mentioned in my post at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/158467/1.ashx and I felt that maybe my eyes could have been opened just a crack so many years earlier. Fortunately, I had a few second chances as presented to me by the prophet Peter Townshend through the message of Tommy 3:16, then again through the apostle Carl of Saganacia in the book of "Cosmos."

Once cracked, the cosmic egg cannot be un-cracked. That's how the light gets in!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Well said, Confession.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Good insightfull post as always my friend. The JW conditioning is just very good you have to give them that. They prepare or condition the R&F for every reason people will use against them.

• Confession
    Confession

Hey, Nathan. Don't think I noticed your thread. I went back and found the thread that originally introduced me to those lyrics. It was a contributor named Zulukai in August of 2005. Glad it also struck a chord with you and others. Thanks for your post.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Also wanted to say how great Leonard Cohen is. I play a bunch of his songs on guitar. A remarkably talented man, just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and still singing and performing though he's in his 70s now.

I admire how he's aged.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit