There's a crack in everything...

by Confession 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• wings
    wings
    To be able to say you simply looked at all the evidence and concluded that the Society wasn't what it says it is--due to a rational, objective investigation of the facts--and not because of anything personal.

I had the same experience. In the end, you can't believe what you don't. I pretended for a time because of things "personal". Hardest time of my life. Pretending strips away at integrity, and retards personal growth. Still recovering from my fade, but....

The crack does let the light in.....I for one am thankful for that.

wings

• Confession
    Confession
    In the end, you can't believe what you don't. I pretended for a time because of things "personal". Hardest time of my life. Pretending strips away at integrity, and retards personal growth.

Kind of reminds me of what the WTS used to say about those who sin repeatedly. They'd quote the scripture about those who "come to be past all moral sense." Just as some who, for instance, are chronic adulterers may find a method of quieting their conscience as they do what they do...so too with JWs and others. You live in a world that punishes questioning and rewards compliance. You are occasionally struck by an indication that something is wrong...

But the next day's Watchtower has glorious paradisaic scenes, statistics about how the organization is growing all over the world, and your friends at the meeting are, through their comments, expressing deep belief in Watchtower teachings. (click, whirr...) You just fall in line with the group indoctrination and manipulation, and you can also "come to be past all moral sense" as you let it all cover over the constantly changing teachings, contradictory policies, history of pedophile protection, legalistic and authoritarian practices, and the sidesplitting prophetic failures.

You come to believe that things like "integrity" and "personal growth" only apply to things associated with the organization. Outside of the organization? Irrelevant.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    For any active or questioning JWs out there reading this, it really all does come down to this: No one should threaten you from considering ALL of the information pertaining to an important subject. It is fundamentally and intellectually dishonest to do so. It betrays a lack of confidence in one's own beliefs. And while it may seem that people leave for reasons silly to you, remember that some of those reasons are only the "crack" that let some light in--and led to a sky-high mountain of rock-solid evidence that cannot be ignored.
    Great post...enjoyed your thoughts... It does seem to be that way that all your thoughts are categorized and polarized into how jw's leaving think, as if you can do that. This is not unlike how we have gone to peoples doors and have told them what they believe. ......with out really knowing the real beliefs. Who's really to know what they believe but the person themselves. Confession in the organization to elders never did sit well with me, I always felt it was no better than the confessional both...all said to man... There's always a middle man every where you go... h40
  • kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    No one should threaten you from considering ALL of the information pertaining to an important subject. It is fundamentally and intellectually dishonest to do so.

Yet the great mind fuck here is....they believe their religion is based on "accurate knowledge".

If it is the truth all the investigation in the world would back it up.

Great post.

• Darklighter
    Darklighter

Great post confession.

The generation change never sat well with me, but what really started my own "crack" was the violence in the OT, the treatment of women, and just the fact that the Biblical actions of God and the way he deals with humans don't match up with the qualities it attributes to him. An all-knowing, all-loving God would certainly have figured out a better way to do things. The JW-specific problems came later for me. I first lost faith in the Bible, which of course brought the Org down with it. When that happened I wasn't afraid of looking at apostate material anymore... and here I am!

• still_in74
    still_in74
    You have my experience expressed perfectly. It was the 1914 Generation change when I felt that moment of being given permission to investigate whatever I wanted about the WTS.

At this point what exactly constitutes the Generation of Matt 24 is a moot point - I think the whole concept is silly. BUT, the mountain of evidence that I uncovered because of that teaching change showed me, as you said, that the WTS is not what it claims to be.

thats the key, something gave us permission to investigate - the crack that let that little bit of light in - for me I just decided to learn about Russel. That was it - in no time I realized that there were so many contradictions in the WTS.
    1914 Generation to wicked was another and then in the midst of it all it changed again! To me the generation is beat to death. It doesnt change or mean a dam thing anymore to JW Theology but its a great conversation starter for hypnotized R&F members of the Cult.

Blood was another key element. The double standard on the WTS logic is appalling!
    We cant use whole blood becuase it needs to be poured out but we can use fractions that are not poured out? We can accept fractions from donated blood but we cant donate blood ourselves? I thought the bible just says we cant eat meat with blood in it... how do transfusions connect with this?

The fraction policy is so assinine I am inclined to think Rutherford WAS resurrected and wrote this policy himself!!!

• Confession
    Confession

Great discussion, folks. Still In, your comment about blood reminds me of one of the lyrics of a song I once wrote about the Watchtower experience...

There once was a strict rule on blood

Transfusions, oh no, not a lick

Till the press started slinging some mud

And now for a magical trick!

Seems Bethel took actions, now we can take fractions

Yes fractions until we turn puce

Whole blood is the pits, so take it in bits

Just not all at once, it’s “The Truth!”

The whole song is here...

• still_in74
    still_in74

Whole blood is the pits, so take it in bits