Why did David bring Golaith's head to Jerusalem?

by VM44 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VM44
    VM44
    I Samuel 17:54 - "And David took the head of the Philistine and brought it to Jerusalem"

Why did David do this, especially when the city of Jerusalem was over 20 miles away and also under Jebusite control at the time?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Maybe he was pushing ahead which was his and god's plan.....

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Because the head is covered by the foreskin.

And we all know about the fun of showing off severed foreskins.

Rub a Dub

• VM44
  • ozziepost
    ozziepost

VM44: I was wondering whether to press the delete button on the off topic posts but let's hope the children stay away now, eh?

• Gopher
    Gopher

That's right, Saul didn't rule from Jerusalem -- David had to conquer it later. So maybe David brought Goliath's head on a tour of Palestine, first through the Jebusite's capital city, and then to Saul.

Maybe David wanted to show off the giant's head to warn the Jebusites that you don't mess with the Davester.

• yknot
    yknot

I found this commentary......on the internet

But I draw your attention to I Samuel 17:54 - And David took the head of the Philistine and brought it to Jerusalem; and he put his armor in his tent.
    T here are at least two things that are peculiar to this verse. Why did David take the head of Goliath to Jerusalem? And also it should be noted that the city of Jerusalem did not as yet exist. It would be founded by David at a later date but it seems that the Holy Spirit was proclaiming it prophetically as "Jerusalem" for a reason. The practice of placing the heads of defeated enemies upon wooden stakes also served to warn travelers of the power that was in the city because many times the heads were staked high outside the city. Of course after many days the weather and the birds would strip the heads of all their flesh and eventually all that was left was a skull attached to the top of a wooden stake.

S o when David took the bloody head to the future city of Jerusalem he would have placed it high on a stake to warn others of God’s power and to proclaim this great victory over the Philistines and that this city belonged to the Most High God. Several years later David would take over the city from the Jebusites and name it Jerusalem, the city of peace.

http://judahslion.blogspot.com/2007/03/victory-jn.html

• yknot
    yknot

Here is another thought...

David's disposal of his trophies, 1 Samuel 17:54. He brought the head of the Philistine to Jerusalem, to be a terror to the Jebusites, who held the strong-hold of Sion: it is probable that he carried it in triumph to other cities. His armour he laid up in his tent; only the sword was preserved behind the ephod in the tabernacle, as consecrated to God, and a memorial of the victory to his honour, 1 Samuel 21:9. 5. The notice that was taken of David. Though he had been at court formerly, yet, having been for some time absent (1 Samuel 17:15), Saul had forgotten him, being melancholy and mindless, and little thinking that his musician would have spirit enough to be his champion; and therefore, as if he had never seen him before, he asked whose son he was. Abner was a stranger to him, but brought him to Saul (1 Samuel 17:57), and he gave a modest account of himself, 1 Samuel 17:58. And now he was introduced to the court with much greater advantages than before, in which he owned God's hand performing all things for him.

http://www.studylight.org/com/mhc-com/view.cgi?book=1sa&chapter=017

• justhuman
    justhuman

He wanted to make a soup with it....eating the brain of the enemies gives you power....I guess this is the only reason...

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

One more reason for me to not to believe in the bible!!

elder-schmelder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit