So, why do you really hate the Roman Catholic Church?

by StAnn 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I'm a non-Witness, and yes, I have more than noticed that the WTS definitely spews against the RCC more than anything. I know of some former RCs who eventually converted to being JWs (one woman told me that it was because the name Jehovah
    The trading of one hierarchy for another.

Does it have to do with being conditioned to take orders through a chain of command? I have never seen two religious organizations that are so different, and yet to some extent, so much alike. I mean, if the GB is seen as the FDS, doesn't the RCC view the Pope in the same capacity, even if they may not verbalize it that way?

I don't have anything against the RCC as I'm about due for a visit (I like to fellowship with various faiths from time to time, including *gasp* the KH), but I know that I could never be an adherent of their dogma or any other of organized Christianity. Look what happens when too many hands are stirring the pot--chaos--and then God gets blamed!

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

I'm a non-Witness, and yes, I have more than noticed that the WTS definitely spews against the RCC more than anything. I know of some former RCs who eventually converted to being JWs --one woman told me that it was because the name Jehovah
    The trading of one hierarchy for another.

Does it have to do with being conditioned to take orders through a chain of command? I have never seen two religious organizations that are so different, and yet to some extent, so much alike. I mean, if the GB is seen as the FDS, doesn't the RCC view the Pope in the same capacity, even if they may not verbalize it that way?

I don't have anything against the RCC as I'm about due for a visit (I like to fellowship with various faiths from time to time, including *gasp* the KH), but I know that I could never be an adherent of their dogma or any other of organized Christianity. Look what happens when too many hands are stirring the pot--chaos--and then God gets blamed!

• Thechickennest
    Thechickennest

I don't hate the Catholic Church.

When I was coming into the JW thing, the book used on me was the Truth Book....I don't even have a copy anymore. I think the use of the cross, pagan traditions etc., made the Catholic's look pretty bad from the view of the Watchtower. In my opinion, taking the WT teachings out of the picture, Catholic's are not all that bad. I know many very good people that are Catholic's.

Maybe the folks that "hate" it, are having other issues of "hate" as well.

• restrangled
    restrangled

The history of the RCC is ugly and brutal. They had total control of the ruling kings in Europe. It is why the USA was founded and why we have separation of Church and State and freedom of religion.

The RCC despite its outward condemnation of Hitler hid many Nazis after the war until they were able to leave the country.

With any organized religion, it is important to research the history just as aggressively as x-jw's are researching the JW's.

Most if not all organized religions, in my opinion, have blood on their hands and dirt under their fingernails.

Read a short version of the inquisition.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

Oops! Double post. Was trying to edit what was left out "...the name Jehovah was left out of her Bible, so she took this as some sort of RCC cover up. I have also known ex-JWs who end up becoming RC. What I don't understand is this:..."

Then the rest of my comment kicks in. Sorry.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I was taught to despise the RCC through the literature.

But later I found the same arguments applied to the WTS.

I distrust any organized religion, RCC included, but not any more than another.

At least the RCC is confronting it's clerical abuse issues.

• james_woods
    james_woods

UMMMM - maybe restrangled overlooked some little trouble that Henry the 8th had with Rome? And, maybe Martin Luther as well?

Anyway - for the JWs - JW history really truly does harbour a special hate for Roman Catholicism. I personally think it goes back to a special mindset that Russell and Rutherford both had toward the Churches - as the RCC was just about the biggest, it got singled out for a special kind of hate.

It may just be that as Catholics were often derided in both Englad and the United States as being undesirables, so thought the Pastor and the Judge. Irish, Mexican, Spanish, Italian - you name it, if they were one of these second-class groups (in the eyes of the correct "white anglo-saxon protestant" ruling class) - a Catholic was almost sub-human. Both Rutherford and Russell were arguably products of the angry protestant reactionay brand of American fringe religions. Note than until JFK, no U.S. president was a Catholic, and it was a big deal even in 1960.

Probably not many other nominally Christian religions have come in for as much criticism from the JWs as the Catholic Church over the years.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Anyway - for the JWs - JW history really truly does harbour a special hate for Roman Catholicism. I personally think it goes back to a special mindset that Russell and Rutherford both had toward the Churches - as the RCC was just about the biggest, it got singled out for a special kind of hate.

The mindset is deeply rooted in the Protestant Reformation, itself largely a political movement.

BTS

• KingArthur
    KingArthur

I always thought the Catholics were fornicating in the pews!

• StAnn
    StAnn

Dawg, just curious. You've probably made this clear many a time on this forum but I get people confused.

Do you consider yourself an atheist or are you into one of the Eastern Religions?

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit