I'm on steroids too :(

by MsMcDucket 37 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I have been on steroids a few times. I never had any side effects; but, I have not been on them long term, just one or two coarse each time. I have been on topical steroids for itching and rash for over a year. I don't think that topical steroids have the same side effects as oral/injected.

Hi Pec, don't dismiss the power of topical prescription steroids! For the Psoriasis that I have, the doctor had me putting on a topical that had 1000x's the strength of nonprescription; and in addition to that he gave me oral steroids! I thought that I was going to explode! I was too wired; and for a person with Panic Disorder, wired is not good! Way bad! Terrible! A cruel thing to do! Oh hell! I remember being able to take four 50 mg Atarax a day without it knocking me out!

I had Psoriasis all over my body. Putting on steroids made me feel like I had bathed in Cocaine or Crank or something! It was JACKED UP!

When the topical steroid didn't work, they switched me to the Vitamin D analog Taclonex and Dovonex. The dermatologist said the meds need to be cycled so that you don't become immune to them.

• amama2six
    amama2six

April, I had a botched thyroid surgery. That is what caused my breathing difficulties. I haven't been the same since. If the doctors can't get meds to control it, I want the trach back in. I was serious as a heart attack when I told the doctor that.

That is horrible! My friend is having a lot of thyroid issues and may need surgery. I really hope things go better for her than your result because the poor girl has enough on her plate already. :( I would want the trach back in, too, if it was the difference between being able to breathe or not! *Hugs*

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

April tell your friend to go to a doctor that specializes in thyroidectomies, not just a general surgeon. Also, ask him how many thyroidectomies has he done? And fine out if being put on Synthroid will help to reduce the thyroid. Sometimes, Iodine therapy will reduce a thyroid. Tell her to consider all of the options. An endocrinologist would be a good choice for reduction with meds.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Mrs.McD... peace to you!

I don't usually comment on subject like this, but I just wanted to ask you to take care and monitor your blood sugar if you're using steroids; they can cause control to be very difficult. In fact, steroids can cause diabetes... including the topical kind. I know: I was on triamcinilone and betamethasone... for 22 years. I am now a diabetic. I used the [cortico]steroids to control severe congenital eczema. I finally got off them when I found something that worked (and might work for you, too!): Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion. A miracle balm, truly. Since using it, I no longer have eczema... anywhere on my body. And I was severe... for years.

I know psoriasis is not the same as eczema, of course... but it might be worth a try if it'll keep you from having to use corticosteriods to control your skin.

And I'm truly sorry about your botched surgery. I hope there was some restitution...

Peace to you!

SA, on her own

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I hope there was some restitution...

None, couldn't find a lawyer here to take the case or a doctor that would testify that the doctor was below the standard of care. It's been over two years; so the statue of limitations has run out. I don't even think that they've really told me what's really wrong. The doctor took the trach out even though I didn't want him too. I told him that I was having the spasms. He, actually, saw it happen once. But he still took it out. They are willing to let me die from this.

They really messed me up and got away with it. They intubated my right mainstem bronchus and collapsed the lung too! There's nothing that I can do about it. It was the surgery from hell!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    None, couldn't find a lawyer here to take the case or a doctor that would testify that the doctor was below the standard of care.

I take it you're not in California (although, the same often happens out here, too, so...). It's a shame... and it's one of the reasons I went to law school (the lack of care that women very often get - Fran Drescher had to see eight different doctors before she was finally and accurately diagnosed with ovarian cancer!!). You're in my prayers... and may JAH bless.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Switch
    Switch

OMG Ms. your experiences are freaking me out. I'm having thyroid issues too. I have cysts on my thyroid so it's swollen on the left side and making it underactive. I'm on eltroxin and they monitor the cysts every 6 months....I seriously hope I dont need surgery to remove them. I'll keep your advice in mind though. thanks.

I really hope things start looking up for ya.

-switch

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I have been on various doses of steroids for the best part of three years now. Making my weight go up an down like a yo-yo between 60 kilograms and 110 kilograms (don't know Imperial) my fluctuations in fatness were part of my reason for picking my silly screen name. Steroids will usually make your weight go up. How fat you will get will depend on how long you are on them and how much you take. You start to notice a difference after about a month. And when you stop it is about a month again before the weight starts to come down. I have read that you can prevent weight gain to some extent by avoiding eating much salt, but I don't know if that really works.

If you are on a low dose of steroids for a short period there should not be long lasting effects to worry about. In the short term some people have mood swings and steroids can even cause hallucinations so I have heard, but I have never had that myself. Early on I had some strange and extremely vivid dreams, but those have died down now.

If you are on them more 10mg steroids for more than 3 months then bone density (leading to osteoperosis) and susceptibility to infections become an issue. Also they may cause stomach ulcers, but these can be prevented by taking another medication that counteracts damage to the stomach from the steroids. And blood sugar level need to be monitored too for diabetes. I have had no problem so far with that. Although I have not yet had serious side-effects, I really hope to get off steroids soon. They do long term damage to your immune system my doctor says. And my bones are already slightly depleted.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    blood sugar level need to be monitored too for diabetes. I have had no problem so far with that.

Hmmmm... the following is for MrsD and the other ladies (gentlemen, you are quite welcome to read on, but please know that you do so at your own risk).

I was first put on corticosteroids (triamcinilone, betamethasone, beconase... which doctors will say, even today, do NOT cause diabetes, even though the inserts and website info says they do)... in 1984. At the time, I weighted about 106 lbs. In 1989, I started gaining weight. Fast. Really fast. I won't even tell you how high my weight got (but think high), but from that point, I started having all kinds of "problems" with my body, resulting in various "diagnoses," including ... "depression." (Note: I don't suffer from depression. I have never suffered from depression. No disrespect to those that do, but this particular diagnosis ticked me off as I realized this was the typical "illness" for women when they can't figure out what's really going on.) They prescribed an anti-depressant, which I took for a couple months. Felt GREAT... emotionally. Didn't do a darn thing for my physical "problems."

I did some research (someone had to!) and my symptoms indicated that I had developed "cushing's syndrome" (I had all but one "symptom" - the one I am glad I don't have; however, my doctor(s) denied this particular theory)... and/or perhaps something else, but neither I nor the various doctors I saw (and I saw many, because I wasn't "depressed" and I was gonna find one who could see that!!)) could say what it was. Over the course of the next 8-9 years, I asked for every test I could think of... and was denied all. Including a glucose tolerance test ("We've tested you several times and your finger tests indicate you don't have diabetes!").

And then... in January 1998... I almost died. I could not eat, could barely walk, and could barely breathe. The initial diagnosis? No, not "too much weight gain." It as "mild bronchitis." "We think."

Soooooo... I was put on a bronchilator and given a hefty antibiotic. That didn't work, however. Second visit? "Perhaps you've developed asthma" and I was given Albuterol. (Note: I don't have asthma. I've never had asthma. And so, the Albuterol did nothing... except get me high as a kite. I remember I just threw it in a corner one day and never took another "puff").

Well, my "problem" got worse. Of course. By this time, my ex thought I was "looking for attention" (my situation with the WTBTS had recently culminated) and so he blew me off ("The doctor said you have asthma - he should know; he's a doctor"). So, he wouldn't take me for another doctor visit. (And no, none of my JW "friends" would take me - they had spoken with my ex and so didn't think I "really" needed any assistance. He would certainly let them know if I did right? ).

Another week passed and by this time my breathing problem was really scaring me. In addition, I was... well, EXTREMELY thirsty is the only way to describe it: I was downing, like, 2-3 gallons of whatever liquid I could get my hands on throughout the day... and night. And... I was spending an inordinate amount of time in the WC. So a very dear and caring friend came from about 400 miles away to take me to see the doctor. This visit I say to my [dear] doctor, "I really think I have diabetes." And I received the usual reply: "You don't have diabetes. We've checked your blood and there's no indication of diabetes."

"Well," I said (this time with a kinda "and-you-better-not-tell-me-no" tone), "I want to be tested anyway."

After heaving a sigh, he wrote out the test form and sent me down the hall to the lab. Praise Jah, the lab was closed for the day: I left his office and went to the hospital lab. There, the lab tech, trying to make small talk, said, "So, what're you here for?"

"Diabetes testing," I said.

"Diabetes?" she asked, first raising her eyebrows then frowning at the form.

"Yeah," I said. "Doesn't it say that?"

"Uh, nope."

"Well, what does it say?"

"Well, it certainly doesn't say to test for diabetes."

When I asked her what it DID say, she said it was just asking for a routing blood screen/panel, but nothing else. So, I told her I was there for diabetes testing and wouldn't leave until I got it. SOOOoooo... she just quickly checked a few more boxes (about 8!!). I gave them blood (quite a bit, IMHO)... and left.

On February 2, 1998, I returned to my doctor for my test results. My ex took me because, of course, he wanted to be there when the doctor told me that I did NOT have diabetes. Imagine his face, then, when the doctor came in... carrying all kinds of diabetes paraphernalia!! My blood sugar had tested at... 328. First words out of the ex's mouth? "Oh, God, I was killing her!!" .

The result? I am an insulin diabetic. Long and short acting.

But that was only one part of the story. As I stated, starting about 1989, my body started having "problems." Another of these problems was severe bleeding, resulting in several to the emergency room. Diagnosis? "Menorraghia." Yeah, right.

Finally, in 2002, I went to my doctor (different one; same group) because my daughter was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian disease. Of course, I had "all the symptoms." Of course, my doctor immediately disagreed; however, to "humor" me... he decided to do a pelvic exam. Well, very soon after he started his previously very pink face... turned very gray. I won't elaborate on the conversation that resulted, but I will say that I was immediately scheduled for an ultrasound. Like, the next day. The change in the doc's face was nothing compared to the ultrasound tech's, though. So, of course, I ask her, "What's going on; what did you find?"

She says, "Well, I can't say; you'll have to talk to your doctor."

I say, "Oh, no, girlfriend, don't do that to me. You're a woman; I'm a woman. I need to know what you've found. And don't tell me nothing, 'cause the look on your face says you found something."

After getting my assurance that I would NOT tell a soul what she was about the tell me, she said, "Well, there's a bit of a problem."

"Yes, I get that," I said. "What kind of a problem? Do I have cysts on my ovaries?"

"Well," she said, "I can't tell if you do or not... because I can't find your ovaries." (Notice, she said "ovaries"... and not "ovary"!!)

What the...???

"What do you mean, you can't find my ovaries?" Surely, they were there: I had two children!

"I can't find your ovaries... because you have a tumor and it's blocking my view. I've tried to go around it, but, well, it's pretty large."

"Large??"

"Uh, yeah, about the size of... ummmm... maybe a baseball..."

Now, I'm thinking this is a pretty big tumor, the size of a baseball.

Final verdict? I had SEVERAL tumors... the SMALLEST of which was the size of a baseball... the LARGEST of which was the size... of a GRAPEFRUIT!!! And... they were BLEEDING. Menorraghia my...

Needless to say, the uterus had to come out. (And yes, I know about the procedure for shrinking them: my surgeon and I discussed that in great detail, however, and his opinion was that I had too many that were too large... and bleeding too much. I had to go on birth control pills four times/day... for four weeks... just to stop the bleeding so that I could even have the surgery.)

Bottom line? Steroids... if taken too long... or too heavily... can have some serious "side effects". If not for men, certainly for women. I mean, I SO get it when someone must take them for a valid medical condition: the pros far outweight the cons. But when I hear of folks like, say, athletes taking them... for, what, so that they can bulk up... I just shake my head: id-i-ots. They are NOT thinking "down the road"... not at all.

MrsD, take GOOD care of yourself... and CHECK YOUR BLOOD SUGAR. If you stay on top of it, you may not have ANY problems. But if you feel that something's going on... you find a doctor willing to LISTEN to you... no matter how many you might have to go through.

I bid you all peace.

SA (a slave of Christ who got "personal")

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

MrsD, take GOOD care of yourself... and CHECK YOUR BLOOD SUGAR. If you stay on top of it, you may not have ANY problems. But if you feel that something's going on... you find a doctor willing to LISTEN to you... no matter how many you might have to go through.

AGuest, I'm an endocrinologist's dream! I have all kinds of hormonal problems including diabetes. My mother's death was related to her thyroid "growing back" and causing anoxic brain injury. Mom started having seizures after that. She was never able to go back home.

The latest from my ENT/Neck Surgeon is that I could have a form of Epilepsy that sole manifestation could be "laryngospasm". He said that he may try me on Tegretol; but I have to see if anti-reflux meds will decrease the amount of laryngospasm/s or stop them. It kind of made sense to me that it could be neurological because I did go into respiratory arrest after the thyroid surgery and had to be put on the vent. I am my Mother's child!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit