3 REASONS TO BE A JW

by thebigdebate 32 Replies latest jw friends

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I was #1 which made me a little #3. :)

• startingover
    startingover

I can claim the born in excuse, as can my parents. However, my grandparents who got involved in 1910 can possibly claim something else. My grandfather was a magician by trade and I am now convinced he was fascinated with the idea of measuring pyramids.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

True for 95% of them.

Those are the same 3 reasons people don't leave.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I'm a born-in.

My s-i-l was a convert after having a drug overdose and almost dying.

My ex-husband came in after a death in the family.

This has me thinking about some people I know who were "studies" found in field service who are still in. They aren't born-ins, they didn't appear to be in crisis, and seem relatively sane. I can't figure out what in the world could have gotten any of them caught up in this.

StAnn

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

StANN- You never know someone darkest secrets do you?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Me: born in

Mom: Nuts

Dad: influenced by nutty mom

Ditto

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

LIfe crisis, or the un crisis, I quit drugs and alcohol, then got sucked in... i found this too....

Who is vulnerable to cults?

Everyone has the potential to be susceptible to cult recruitment and coercion at particularly vulnerable points of their life.

Transitional times tend to increase vulnerability:

• During a vacation
    • First year away at school
    • A year "off" or after graduation
    • A job change or loss
    • After suffering any loss
    • Upon reaching new life stages
    • Following the break-up of a relationship
    • Soon after moving to another city or country
    • During a search for meaning, or to "find oneself."
    • Lonely, without, or away from friends or family

Who is the "typical" recruit?

The recruit can be almost anyone including:

• From middle to upper socio-economic family backgrounds
    • Sixteen to senior citizen
    • Of average or above-average intelligence
    • Usually well educated, including college graduates
    • Intellectually curious
    • Idealistic or seeking meaning or purpose in life
    • Most vulnerable between high school and college, and between college and career
    • When temporarily unattached
  • ESTEE
    ESTEE

Me? Born in.

DF'd out. Thank you elders for df'ing me. They gave me the kick I needed to get on with the rest of my life.

ESTEE

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

My JW friend was raised-in because her mother converted. Her dad (after 20 years of study!!!) finally became one after being hounded by her mother.

• beerose
    beerose

me sorta born in,grandma was JW mom never pushed but tried to teach it,later mom BJW,me run far away from it.Husband job moved us to s**t town where everyone seems to be mean spirited walk down the street and say hi to someone and thier nose goes straight up in the air!praying mighty hard for help ,no lie knock comes to door,who else but the JW's so then I start believeing they were lead here!Only to find them to be mean spirited too.(must be in the water)breakdown,then having to have surgery for cancer,while recovering sister flips out winds up in state mental hospital,come to find she was also abused and knew I was too,never knew that.I didn't tell her about my surgery because I didn't want to upset her,so she died thinking ,I didn't care enough to go see her! (WHO SAYS YOU'RE NEVER DEALT MORE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE)?Another knock on door stupid me telling them why I stopped going more meanness,and now I'm here!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit