Statistical evidence against WTS fulfillment of Mat24:14. Simple argument.

by Awakened at Gilead 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Jehovah’s Witnesses are proud to point out that they are fulfilling the prophecy at Matthew 24:14. JWs are quick to point out that part of the purpose of the preaching work is so that Jehovah can take note of how people respond to the witnessing, and thus can decide if they are worthy of survival or not. Each year the spend over a BILLION hours in their witnessing work. An impressive figure? Read on….

*** w05 12/1 p. 21 Highlights From the Book of Second Chronicles ***
    36:15-17. Jehovah is compassionate and patient. However, his compassion and patience are not limitless. People must respond favorably to the Kingdom-preaching work if they are to survive when Jehovah brings an end to this wicked system of things.

*** km 2/97 p. 1 par. 3 Share In the Work That Will Never Be Repeated ***
    A Modern-Day Warning Work: Jehovah long ago declared that his anger would be unleashed against today’s wicked system and that only the meek ones would survive. (Zeph. 2:2, 3; 3:8)

Since I have been out of the organization for 4 months now I am wondering when someone is going to attempt to witness to me so that Jehovah can have the opportunity to read my heart. In 4 months, I have not been witnessed to once, although I wouldn’t mind someone witnessing to me so I can “witness” back to them. The other day, I saw an older sister with some tracts in hand. She was about to round a corner. So I stopped walking and waited for her to pass by, hoping that I could get witnessed to, so that Jehovah could judge me as approved for survival… But alas, the sister passed me by and didn’t even offer me a tract to save my life! My life was at stake…

*** km 9/00 p. 1 Lives Are at Stake! ***
    Lives Are at Stake!
    1 The Bible makes clear Jehovah’s will “that all sorts of men should be saved.” However, it is also true that the life prospects of earth’s billions depend upon their attitude toward Jehovah God and his Kingdom by Jesus Christ. A proper attitude can be based only on “accurate knowledge of truth.” (1 Tim. 2:3, 4) While giving notice that soon the earth will be cleansed of all wickedness in order to make way for God’s new world of righteousness, we have also been commissioned to carry on a vital lifesaving work.—Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20; Rom. 10:13-15.
    2 Why So Urgent? Jesus gave warning about a “great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning.” (Matt. 24:21) That tribulation will reach its climax at Armageddon. (Rev. 16:16) The masses of people facing annihilation if they fail to respond to the good news include our unbelieving relatives, neighbors, workmates, schoolmates, and acquaintances. But our concern is to reach out to “all sorts of men” in imitation of God, who manifested his love for the entire world of mankind by giving his Son, Jesus Christ, as a ransom for all. (John 3:16) We must zealously endeavor to invite all to flee to God’s place of safety. By fully carrying out the preaching work, we can avoid bloodguilt.—Ezek. 33:1-7; 1 Cor. 9:16.

But if I am a sample member of the population that Jehovah is screening via the JWs, does this mean that most people really don’t have a chance to respond to the witnessing work? I have been thinking about this, and I think a look at the statistics is actually quite revealing. I decided to calculate how much time JWs actually spend in the witnessing work to see if the above statements in the WT literature are warranted.

In 2007 the world’s population was estimated to be 6.6 billion. (http://www.prb.org/Publications/Datasheets/2007/2007WorldPopulationDataSheet.aspx)

Last year, JWs spent 1.4 billion hours in their preaching work. This means that per capita, JWs spend an average of 12.7 minutes per person on the face of the earth. If that was actually the case, then, the WTS is teaching that your eternal salvation depends on how you spend 12.7 minutes out of your YEAR! But that is not all.

Much of that service time is spent on Bible studies. The average number of Bible studies is 6.5 million worldwide. If these studies are conducted about 3 times per month, that means that about 236 million hours are spent on Bible studies. This leaves slightly less than 1.2 billion hours for the rest of humanity.

Let’s make a few adjustments to this figure based on the realities of the ministry. Not all of this time is spent talking to people face to face. In reality, the actual face to face component of this time is much less. We know that a good deal of time is spent traveling between territories, walking from house to house, and driving to return visits. We can safely assume that about 50% of service time is related to such travel and walking. This reduces the amount of potential time spent talking to people to about 600 million hours a year. We can look at this number several ways:

If the preaching work were actually worldwide, then this figure divided by the world’s population gives us the ridiculously low figure of 5 minutes per person per year. This means that Jehovah God will judge the 6 Billion people on this planet based on their response during 5 minutes of the year. If a person is contacted for 50 years at this rate, then their entire eternal salvation depends on whether they paid attention to the JWs during about 4 and a half hours OF THEIR ENTIRE LIFE!

A more realistic way of looking the numbers is the realize that most JWs spend their time knocking on doors that are not at home. In fact, most of us can remember entire days where we were in field service and yet never spoke to a soul. To be generous, though, let’s say that a JW was able to contact a different person for each hour of field service that is left.

So if we take: 6.6 Billion people. Subtract 600 million hours = people, the result is that 6 billion people did NOT get a witness (such as myself). Yet these are the same people that God will supposedly destroy since they “took no note”.

Any comments?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I'd say 50% is a gross over-estimation for face-to-face time with non-JWs. During my regular pioneering years, it would have been something like 5%. In addition, I'd add a negative multiplier for "hours inflation".

• ninja
    ninja

maybe the angels told that sister....A@G had a chance and blew it.......uh oh....I just started another JW myth....he he

• steve2
    steve2

Good observations. As times passes, I see fewer and fewer JWs pounding the pavements, let alone finding people at home. And the JWs I do occasionally see are more often than not, middle-aged or older. Where are their enthusiastic youth who until recently characterized the door knockers?? JWs today actually spend far less time door-knocking than they did in earlier decades - and, from next year, will spend less time at meetings each week. Talk about building zealous momentum as The Day Draws Near! Not.

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Your lack of faith is astounding my brother!

tee hee

Ah the witnessing work. Lamest of the lame, and yet the cornerstone of their religion.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Jehovah will make the stones cry out

• blondie
    blondie

*** w00 1/15 p. 13 par. 17 "Keep on the Watch" ***

Fifth,

weseeaglobalpreachingworkbeingaccomplished,whichJesussaidwouldtakeplacejustbeforetheendofthissystem. Jesus stated: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14) Today, that prophecy is in the course of fulfillment on an unprecedented scale. True, untouched territories still exist, and it may be that in Jehovah’s due time, a large door leading to greater activity will open. (1 Corinthians 16:9) Nevertheless, the Bible does not state that Jehovah will wait until every individual on earth has received a personal witness. Rather, the good news must be preached to Jehovah’s satisfaction. Then the end will come.—Compare Matthew 10:23.

The WTS response.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Daniel_p,,, even with the generous assumptions I have made, their "worldwide work" is hardly a "worldwide" phenomenon, touching just a small number of the world's population. Too few for a God to make a decision on to destroy everone on. I come up with 6 Billion un-witnessed ones.

Didn't Jehovah tell Abraham that he wouldn't bring the destruction if there were only 10 righteous ones? How about 6 Billion!

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Blondie... I know that this is what the WTS would say to this... but they are hardly making a dent in the work of preaching, yet they say only millions will survive.

w023/1p.6WhyDidThatAncientWorldPerish?***

The Bible says that this time, however, there will be millions of survivors—a great crowd who worship the only true God. In the world to come, these will enjoy life in permanent peace and security as never before.—Micah 4:3, 4; Revelation 7:9-17.

Actually, now that I look at that quote... where does the Bible specifically say that the number of survivors will be "millions"? Just more cult double-talk not based on the Bible!
  • Seeker4
    Seeker4

A@G,

I did the same mental math as I was leaving the WTS.

I had a friend, Kenny White, who was a Gilead grad and served in East Africa. He was telling me how, in that region, there were like 100,000,000 people, and maybe 10,000 Witnesses. That surprised me, and I started looking at Witnesses compared to populations in various countries.

I forget the exact figures I came up with, but it was obvious, and still is, that with China, N. Korea, India, Pakistan, and the rest of the Middle East, huge portions of Africa, Aisa and the Far East, the vast majority of the Earth's population has never talked with a JW, and likely has never heard of them.

AND, that situation is not improving. The number of Witnesses is decreasing compared to population growth, especially in those parts of the Earth where the Witnesses have the fewest, if any, members. They are so far from fulfilling Matt. 24:14 in any sort of reasonable way, it's ridiculous for them to make their claims of an extensive worldwide witnessing work.

Interesting how all this falls together (of falls apart, depending on your point of view), when you step back and take a good, reasonable look at it.

Also, glad to hear your wife is talking to JWDers.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit