Was There Any WT. Teaching That You Never Agreed With From The Start?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I always doubted the 1975 date as well about Armageddon coming. I remember reading a scripture about it " coming at a time we think not ". So I said to myself - " It won't come in 1975 then, because everybody expects it then ! " Little did I know that it was never going to come ! We were really duped by a cult

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

One thing that puzzled me from the start, is the policy they have on dating. They say 'You should only date with a view to marriage'. How can you possibly know that you are going to marry someone when you've only just started dating them?

Naaa man.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

As a musician I absolutely hated how they bashed Rock and Roll. Article after article about how every rocker was worshiping satan. I had to go to concerts in secret

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That every single worldly person deserved to be destroyed first, no questions asked.

• hot mama
    hot mama

I never understood why we could'nt celebrate the birthday of our children. That was the happiest day of my life and I can't see a darn thing wrong with acknowledging it. Also many of the dates were so confusing. There was so much that just did'nt make sense. Why can children be baptised? They are to young for such a drastic decision. The teaching of the ressurection? I'm not so sure there will be one. It's to confusing. I hated the disfellowshipping arrangement. I think that just keeps people in fear and that's not true love for God. A person should'nt do what is right because of fear of disfellowshipping. I could'nt stomach the thought of passing by a df person and not speaking. How hypocritical!!!!!I I personally know of those that have committed major wrongs and are still "in" the cong. It all sucks!!!

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

How about blaming Jehovah for Bath'Sheba's child's death after she had relations with K' David.

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

Oh...and another one.....what about the person who touched the covenant when it fell right in front of him. David of cource had something to do with that as well.

• IreallydidwalkoutofaKH
    IreallydidwalkoutofaKH

You know....let me state one more! Did you ever have a problem with Jesus forgiving the murder, allowing him to go to paradise, when Jesus was on the torture stake?

• *summer*
  • james_woods
    james_woods

Two big issues here are bubbling to the top. 1975, that I would have expected to always be near the top for JWs of my age group.

The Birthday thing seems to be as big an issue for many - something of a surprise, as this was no bigger deal to me than say Christmas, New Years, or Thanksgiving. Yet is does seem to weigh heavily on lots of ex-JWs, especially those with kids - which is understandable.

Bad - really bad - science was an early big division for me.

My first and very biggest problem with them through the 1960s (pre the 1975 frenzy) was the crackpot theory that the creative days were an arbitrary and un-biblical 7,000 years each. As a 13-year old kid who was good in science, I knew already how preposterous this was. I privately came to the conclusion that this part of the bible was pretty fanciful metaphor, including men who lived to be 969 years, carnivores who ate veggies, worldwide flood, and such. I came to just shut up and ignore it so as not to pisz off my folks and the congregation servants. Just like I shut up and ignored it when they said that the human heart could generate thoughts like a second brain.

My next big shock was the discovery that they had fudged the books by putting the name Jehovah all through the new testament.

The post 1975, with the Bethel apostacy was a kind of expected icing on the cake after those.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit