Nothing but the Blood - Chapter Nine

by daniel-p 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

daniel-p:

I'm glad your daughter is a non-believer. -dp

She's not quite there yet. At least not across the board like me.

AFAIK, she still believes in God and that's fine with me. No sense rocking her world too fast.

om

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

OM, I meant "I'm glad she's a non-believer" in JWs, and not that I'm glad she doesn't believe in God. THere's a world of difference between what this organization teaches and beliefs of most Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

gydtyf hrys utykyrdgtes yyrrtyrdt yrtysde httftft htyhtrn hfrtryeryteycfgdgfyv jfyssd [fxdg] jhgfgftg

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

hgtkdyhuhdreui43erd dsdwed

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

im sorry if you read my moms message my bro joshua (hes only 4) posted those

- jocelyn

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

LOL! I was wondering what was going on! Regardless, thank Joshua for taking such an interest in my thread!

• hubert
    hubert

Daniel-p, can you give some examples of "Critical thinking " books? I have no idea where to start, or what to look for.

Chapter 9 is as good as all your other chapters, Dan. I just love reading them.

Mrs. Jones, I don't quite understand your last two posts. Am I getting dyslexic?

Hubert

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Thanks for the words, hubert. The book we read in class was "How to Think About Weird Things: Critical Thinking for a New Age." However, before I came out, I later threw it away because I was so angry about it and the directions it was taking my mind.

• karen96
    karen96

I have enjoyned your story immensely so far! You really know how to keep a reader going!

As for your experiences, I am so glad you recovered from your life-threatening illness, and I hope you have more on the way!

Karen

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Six years after I left Bethel and one year after I no longer attended meetings, I went back to school. After taking some tests at the local community college, I received a two-year college scholarship. And part of that scholarship was to take a critical thinking course. What I learned in that class was a revelation for me who thought I didn't need to be taught how to think critically. The book students used was, "BEYOND FEELINGS, A Guide to Critical Thinking," Fifth Edition, by Vincent Ryan Ruggiero. That class was one of the most challenging of all my classes. I learned to acquire skills to test the accuracy of statements and the soundness of the reasoning that links them. The major way to do that is to ask questions, something which is frowned upon by Witness leadership. Although I was fading from the WT organization because of their child abuse policies, I still had not probed deeply into my belief system. I still took what had been taught me at face value rather than challenging the ideas. Once I applied what I learned in that class to my beliefs, like daniel-p, I realized the illogicalness of the choice of faith I had made so long ago.

Thank you daniel-p for your story. Each of our stories of escape from the mental prison the Watchtower organization trapped us in is different, but the outcome is the same: we now can exercise our free will; we now can ask questions that lead to discoveries. For me, out of the Watchtower means life's journey is one big adventure, one that you, daniel-p, embarked on when you began to take college classes and felt the exhilaration of discovery. It is no wonder Watchtower leaders try to employ persuasive coercion to keep members from attending university.

Barbara

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit