Google, Apple & how Next Gen INTERNET will DECIMATE the Watchtower Society

by jwfacts 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

This Web 2.0 is a young man's game, Randy, a young man's game...

;-)

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Besty and I were discussing this last night prompted by reading "The Big Switch" (great book - recommend it - discusses the impact of the discovery of electricity and how the internet is about to change society as much as electricity did).

I do believe that we have no idea how our lives will end changing due to the internet and in relation to the JW issue - as well as the speed at which people can find out the truth about "the truth", there is now such a supportive community for ex-JWs, unlke years ago when if you left you thought you were well and truly alone - now people are empowered to leave a lot sooner than before.

A tipping point is jut waiting to happen (in the West at least) in my humble opinion.

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

This is all so true; but the WBTS is going to continue to go more 'mainstream'; which will help them the retain members.....

And eventually perhaps enhance their growth in the coming generations.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I agree that although a powerful tool, the internet won't decimate this religion anymore than it will other religions. people still hold to dogma.

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

your karma ran over my dogma.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

PP sez,

This Web 2.0 is a young man's game, Randy, a young man's game...
    Yes, that's why I must find help. Let's see, have tons of hackers in the hood here in El Porto... or any of you silent web geniuses out there? I'm not hard to work with, and I don't bite. Randy ADVERTISEMENT FOR HELP

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    If by “decimate” you mean reduce by 10%, then I agree with you. If, on the other hand, you mean that the internet will bring an end to the Watchtower, then I think you overestimate the internet’s ability.

I agree that it will not immediately end the Watchtower Society, but it will chip away at the growth rate at an ever increasing rate.

FlipThis, it does seem likely that as the older GB die off the newer members will push it more mainstream. Knowing that meetings are being broadcast may lead them to making them more lively, enjoyable and inviting, and to scale back on bigotted teachings. If the Internet forces the religion to go mainstream and loose it cult like qualities, then that is as good a result. If they stopped shunning, stopped saying only Jehovah's Witnesses will be saved and stopped saying to not plan for the future because the end is about to occur, then it would become as good a religion as most.

Randy, I am happy for you to use this article as you see fit.

• amicus
    amicus

I've seen a shift in my lifetime from "converts" to "born ins".

The net has a limited effect on the later.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Bravo.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was just doing some research about the future of the web and web 3.0.

The term Web 3.0 is used to hypothesis about the future of the internet, with particular emphasis on artificial intelligence - computers dynamically researching and presenting information. Imagine what will be possible. This will allow for rapid evaluation of old Watchtower doctrinal contradictions, errors and changes. Each Watchtower article released will see simultaneously distribution of information over the internet highlighting misquotes, scientific error, doctrinal changes and logical fallacies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit