2008 DC: Fear Tactics

by outofthebox 22 Replies latest jw friends

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

brainwashing and fear control is all they got. Fear of reproof, fear of loosing family, fear of shame, fear of the world, fear fear, fear. They didn't come up with the term "armegedon syndrom" for nothing....

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

The 2008 DC was all about the fear. This was particularly stressed during the talk on youth (the talk leading up to the release of the QYPA Pt2).

It was also all about the FDS - obey obey obey obey obey.

And we also got the comment that we don't need to fill ourselves with knowledge from the Bible. After all, Paul came to the congregations with - 1 Cor 2:2 For I decided not to know anything among YOU except Jesus Christ, and him impaled.

The brother handling that assignment quoted the above scripture and said, "So you can see from that verse Paul only came with basic knowledge so that he could tell the brothers about Jehovah God".

Kinda took me back to the times when the WT contained comments telling the brothers to leave studying the Bible to those in Bethel who wrote the magazines....

The spiritual dark ages are upon us, people. The lead up to 2014, the centennial of Christ's invisible presence begins.

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

ARMAGEDDON SYNDROM-

A number of abusive churches create a fear of Armageddon, reinforced with guilt in order to dominate and maintain membership. Cults use this as a tool of emotional control. By implanting fear and creating guilt, abusive groups manipulate their members into performing free service.

Fear is the major motivator. It binds in two ways: (1) It creates an outside enemy who threatens or persecutes the member. This results in the "us versus them" world view, and (2) fear of failing the organization or fear of discovery and punishment by the leaders if you are lax in doing your job. What job? Why, serving the organization, of course! "Are you REALLY doing all you can to serve God?" (A typical introduction to guilt.)

Guilt is a good enforcer, but it won't work unless you can make people feel guilty about something. Note this subtle example: "Now that you have an understanding of God's purpose wouldn't you like to share it with others? We know God will destroy all wicked people shortly. Since we have knowledge of this we have a responsibility to warn others. If we don't do this God will find us bloodguilty at Armageddon. You wouldn't want to be held bloodguilty, would you?"

Cults need a bogeyman. The Watchtower's bogeyman is Armageddon. Fear of eternal annihilation and fear of being found bloodguilty by God at Armageddon assures the continued service of the "faithful." Such fear adversely influences plans for marriage, college, careers, and the pursuit of happiness. It robs one's peace of mind and destroys one's quality of life.

Fear is effectively used to attract new members as well. A little Bible prophecy, some statistics and current events, a few dates and the trap is set. Once the new convert buys into it, out jumps the bogeyman to motivate and manipulate.

-Burn

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    "the Greeks created academies and gyms under Satan's direction to make the jews betray Jehovah"---attributed to the WT by OTB

Wow........those greek are clever. I can see todays parrallel to that.......... thousands of widow washer kids led astray at places like Yale and Harvard.

I can believe they said that. I cant beleive I sat trough tripe like that for 20+ summers.

Jeff

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I feel so sorry for my nephews and nieces. They are going to be stuck barely making it through life with nothing to look forward to.

My brothers and sister that are still JW's can barely make ends meet. It's just sad that a billion dollar non-profit organization makes them live this way.

• heathen
    heathen

I'm just shocked they are saying to fear satan . He is their enemy and they are at war with him , no point in fearing it , true worshipers are more powerful than satan since God would be backing and supporting them.

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Thanks for those numbers. Very interesting.

I've not gone this year. First time ever missing it.

• yknot
    yknot

Which talk was the Greek quote mentioned.......

I have received several MP3s of some of the talks....(but haven't listened to all of them yet) If I have that talk I will upload it!

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

They said that Friday in the morning in the talk "The role of the Holy Spirit in the purpose of Jehovah". That was the last talk in the morning.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Effectively, they are afraid that, if people start thinking for themselves, they might start thinking of leaving. Which is bad for the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, since that would leave fewer witlesses to complete their tasks and build the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit