2008 DC: Fear Tactics

by outofthebox 22 Replies latest jw friends

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

So, as you already know, I was in the 2008 DC. Three very boring days. But, I paid attention to every speech, so, you guys don't have to go. Here is my summary of the more than 16 hours of "spiritual food" (tm):

• You have to be obedient to the old guys at Brooklyn (mentioned 90 times): FDS 37 times, Organization 42 times, GB 5 times, Obey 6 times
    • Fear everything different (mentioned 227 times): Worldly people 6 times, Satan 92! times, Great Tribulation 8 times, This is a Bad World 54 times, Prosecution 22 times, These are difficult times 8 times, Demons 7 times, Christendom 10 times, The end is coming 5 times, Apostates 4 times, Sense of urgency 7 times, Argmagedon 4 times
    • Dates: 1914 3 times, 1919 2 times
    • Do not study: 13 times
    • Go to meetings: 10 times
    • Paradise: 15
    • Jesus: 133 times

As you can see the major part of the program was scare tactics. Satan was mentioned every ten minutes approximately, almost as much as Jesus. You may think that because this time they mentioned Jesus more than Satan, it is a good think, but if you want to poison somebody, you don't serve the poison alone.

How was you DC? Scare tactics too?

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

do you remember what was said when they said "do not study?"

• VM44
    VM44
    Do not study: 13 times

Non Watchtower material?

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Yes, I remember: They said things like: "Don't waste the little time available in search of worldly possessions", "this sister didn't go to college, see is now a pioneer and a house cleaning lady; follow here example", "don't let educators and other school counselors pressure you into going to college", "the Greeks created academies and gyms under Satan's direction to make the jews betray Jehovah", and so forth 13 times.

• VM44
    VM44
    "the Greeks created academies and gyms under Satan's direction to make the jews betray Jehovah",

They actually said that from the podium?

• dawg
    dawg

Please tell me this isn't a direct quote... God damn!

"the Greeks created academies and gyms under Satan's direction to make the jews betray Jehovah",

They actually said that from the podium?

• White Dove
  • BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow, thanks for the synopsis.

Did you happen to count the "Jehovahs" too, by chance? I'm betting the Governing Bodies beat out the Jehovahs.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Wow, I just want to say how much I appreciate your being able to sit through that drivel for a whole 3 days...I couldn't stomach even 1/2 hour...but your synopsis is very much appreciated. I am constantly being asked "Wasn't that a GREAT ASSEMBLY?" and my response each time has been "Well, I didn't go." You should see the looks I'm getting - as if I've committed the unforgiveable sin...there's more but for lack of time, I'll have to save for another post...

It's great to be able to get the Reader's Digest condensed version (at your expense, I know) but I am eternally grateful! Thanks for sharing...I'm picturing your notebook with little sticks under different categories for # of times Satan, GB, etc. were mentioned. Maybe I should encourage any I still have contact with of the r&f to do this as well - might be an eye opener!

• burningbridges
    burningbridges

brainwashing and fear control is all they got. Fear of reproof, fear of loosing family, fear of shame, fear of the world, fear fear, fear. They didn't come up with the term "armegedon syndrom" for nothing....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit