Mystics don't talk about their experiences.

by BabaYaga 57 Replies latest jw friends

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Discuss.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Why is "bra" singular yet "panties" plural?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I don't know, John Doe, why is that?

How does that make you feel?

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

Seriously, though. Explain yourself, Baba. Are you talking about Christian mystics, Jewish mystics, what? That may be the route I end up taking.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I did sort of pose it as a joke, but the truth is, I believe it.

The title of this thread is an actual quote from a friend of mine. When I first heard it, it really did resonate with me, as I think mystics get tired of words not doing their jobs to try to describe things, and also of being called crazy (not to mention the dread of being burned at the stake.)

I find myself understanding the cliche' of the holy man in a cave on a mountainside more and more. Words just seem to muddle things.

Oh, and in answer to your question, AlmostBitten: "Are you talking about Christian mystics, Jewish mystics, what? That may be the route I end up taking."

Origin or the denomination of the mystic does not matter. I believe mystics all speak the same language. Well, that is... when they talk about their experiences. Ha. Once a person has a true mystic experience, it is beyond denomination, beyond dogma.

Love,
    Baba.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

and real masters don't call themselves master.

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

Sorry, didn't mean to catagorize per se. For example, St. Francis of Assissi was considered a mystic, but most associate him with Christianity, specifically the RC Church.

Let me share something that I read a few years ago in a religion textbook I own. I think it's really something.

The...[holy man] wants to be by himself. he wants to be away from the crowd, from everyday matters. He likes to meditate, leaning against a tree or rock, feeling the earth move benearth him, feeling the weight of the big, flaming sky upon him. That way he can figure things out. Closing his eyes, he sees many things clearly. What you see with your eyes shut is what counts.
    [He] loves the silence, wrapping it around himself like a blanket--a loud silence with a voice like thunder which tells him of many things. Such a man likes to be in a place where there is no sound but the humming of insects. He sits facing the west, asking for help. He talks to the plants and they answer him. He listens to the voices of the wama kaskanall those who move upon the earth, the animals. He is as one with them. From all living beings something flows into him all the time, and something flows from him. --- Lame Deer

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

we have expectations about what mystic and master and sensei mean, lots of times our expectations are based on movies and stories and television. If you run across a real mystic you probably wouldn't know it. And if you come across a real master, you'll only gradually realize that the person is a master because they don't draw attention to themselves.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Exactly, Hortensia! Well, of course I am a jedi master on this site... but... I didn't pick the distinction. hahahahaaa

That is beautiful, AlmostBitten! Very nice indeed.

Love,
    Baba.

edited because Hortensia and I cross-posted: Very nicely said, Hortensia, and it is so true. In actuality, I think there are a great many mystics that we come in contact with from day to day, buying their groceries, walking their dogs. I think there are a lot more true mystics than people realize. I like your comment about not recognizing them.

• trevor
    trevor

Often only people who believe in undefined invisible 'spirit' forces or beings and are given to illusionary contacts with them are thought of as mystics.

In fact anyone who has a religion or faith in a god is a mystic. This would include all Christians who generally have lots to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit