Good vs Evil.....does the existence of God prove the existence of Satan?

by wings 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry, I understand this. What about the idea that good and evil and co-exist within every one of us, and there are no "good men". I am speaking individually of course. Like Gopher said. When there is a group acting on good or evil it can seem like more of a force that the numbers of individuals involved. But if you take it down to an individual's course, "goodness" could just be defined as the net effect of choices made in a lifetime. Good and evil.

My thought on this would be....does it take the duality of these qualities to bring about either. So we need a little evil in us to produce good. Just a thought.

Eloquently stated!

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Ommpa there is some good stuff on this site, certainly worth a look

http://www.irreligion.org/

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Here is a cartoon that I thought was funny

• DJPoetech
    DJPoetech

This is very interesting topic.

A friend of mine had described the aspect of GOOD and EVIL as similar to HOT and COLD.

COLD DOESN'T EXIST! COLD IS ONLY THE ABSENCE OF HEAT.

DARKNESS DOESN'T EXIST! DARKNESS IS ONLY THE ABSENCE OF LIGHT.

If using the same analogy, EVIL ONLY EXISTS DUE TO THE ABSENSE OF GOOD.

In proving the existance of God you ultimately prove that Satan exists because of the Yin and yang principle. Because God, according to the bible, is love or the application of love. The misapplication of love would obviously be Satanic.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Oops missed the responses to this thread.

Anyways I was very surprised to learn that Wicca and Paganism believe in Good and Evil yet they do not

believe in the devil.

Not true.

Pagans usually believe in polarity. That is different from "Good and Evil".

How pagans see the duality of light/dark is not the same as is traditional in modern Western society, which has been heavily influenced by Christian thought over the last several centuries. The Western worldview is based on dualism where duality is broken down into two very separate and distinct irreducible parts. These parts are independent of each other and can be either complimentary or in conflict. In the case of traditional Western thought, the symbolism of light and dark is deeply rooted in the Christian ethical dualism symbolized as the battle of good (light) vs. evil (dark). Paganism on the other hand has adopted a worldview based on monism, where duality is more often perceived as aspects of an encompassing whole. Dualities such as light/dark thus exist as polarities - two opposite yet complementing aspects of a whole. The yin-yang, which shows each "side" as part of a greater whole, each containing an aspect of its opposite within it, is a familiar symbol of polarity.
    http://www.waningmoon.com/darkpagan/lib/lib0046.shtml

Sirona

• catbert
    catbert

These are sophisticated descriptions of mans attempt to control his emotions and instinct
    through intelligence. Thats the balance. Having a sophisticated simulator in your head that lets you see
    possible outcomes of your actions is uniquely human.

Apes do some level of simulation: I want to mate with that, but the last time I did, I got the shit kicked out of me.

Crocodiles and sharks run on pure instinct: Smell blood, attack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit