Good vs Evil.....does the existence of God prove the existence of Satan?

by wings 35 Replies latest jw friends

• wings
    wings

Does not believing in God bring evil down to a simple explanation of the conflict that is within every human being. Seems to me the "force" is at work in the world, and the "force" is both good and evil.

Sometimes it is easier for me to believe in the existence of Satan than the existence of God. Weird, I know. Just part of my process through this confusion.

wings

• megs
    megs

I was looking up the definition of evil and I found this quote...

"the evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones"- Shakespeare

I thought that was very apropos in a religious sense! I suppose the issue is that the existence of God or Satan cannot be proven; it is a matter of faith... However if you believe in God, belief in Satan explains why bad things happen... If it's good, it's God, if it's not it must be Satan...

In the current system of things (I'm not saying there is any other system, I just don't know), good and evil exist simultaneously, there is no pure good and no pure evil... It's the yin and the yang. Even when you look at God... According to the Bible, blood sacrifice was acceptable (at least in the OT), and it was okay to wipe everyone out but Noah in a flood. Could that not be construed as an evil act? And Satan... Why DID he lure Eve to eat that apple? So that she and Adam would have knowledge of good and evil?? Is knowing good from evil, evil?

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Does not believing in God bring evil down to a simple explanation of the conflict that is within every human being. Seems to me the "force" is at work in the world, and the "force" is both good and evil.

Evil can be rooted in an individual's motivations, or it can be embedded in the spirit of a malicious group of people. In the case of a group or mob, it may seem like the amount of evil is greater than the sum of the individuals involved. Yet the same dynamic can empower groups to work for greater good.

As an atheist I view the evil that happens on earth as motivated by groups or individuals, and do not blame it on some external bogeyman or Devil. The idea of a Devil is useful to religious leaders, so that they can rally their troops out of fear or hatred of this supposed Devil.

• Satanus
    Satanus

No, if god existed, it would not mean that the devil existed, also. If spirits existed, it would also not necessitate the existence of god and/or the devil. It doesn't come, all in one package, as many people reason that it must. Many people that would like to believe, or are desperate for a sign that would validate what they believe or like to believe extrapolate something construed as a sign to do just that. It's a mistake.

S

• Sirona
    Sirona

In my view, forces exist which either balance or unbalance. Someone said "yin and yang".

Since "God" or "Gods" are a human interpretation of "Divinity" ....I would expect that Satan is simply another human construct which was created in order to represent all things which hurt us.

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

and I need to add

in true "matrix" style, what our minds perceive as real affects our reality...

Sirona

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

wings, interesting question, one that I have often grapppled with

Sometimes it is easier for me to believe in the existence of Satan than the existence of God. Weird, I know. Just part of my process through this confusion.

I think I'm tending to agree that ideas such as God and Satan help to externalise internal conflict. The result is we can blame the bad on satan and the good on god and whats more locate that outside of ourselves. How convenient.

Regarding forces. I don't think forces are inherently evil or good but (whether they stem from inside or outside) they enable accomplishments that can have good or bad effects.

Hows that for an explanation?

ql

• Satanus
    Satanus

The good vs evil duality in western society originated w zerostrianism. Jews returning from babylon after persia conquored it brought it back w them. Zerostrianism was fairly popular during the first centruy in the middle east. In fact, part of the revelation is almost word for word the same as part of the avesta, the zerostrian holy book. Eastern religion and society is mostly based on oness.

Evil among people is simply the animal nature, or actions of the ego. Fear and insecurity are what push the ego. We all have that.

S

• megs
    megs

Satanus, is that another name for zoroastrianism? If so, then I agree, much of modern religious conceptions of evil have their origins in zoroastrianism. That's a really good point BTW!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mags

My spelling out of wack this morning. Sorry.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit