FIRST AID at the DCs

by tresdecu 19 Replies latest jw friends

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Mulan, you said: "He was great, and had all his equipment there"

(sorry about the highlighting, now I can't turn it off) Was he actually allowed to use it? While not being on duty / out of his jurisdiction?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Okay here is my husbands response on convention First Aid .

First of all the conventions he helped out at were in Springfield , IL and Chicago area . At all of these the First Aid volunteers were RN's , EMT's , Paramedics and at Springfield a Doctor .

The first yrs. he worked at Springfield there were city paramedics on stand by at the convention site that wanted the brothers to respond first ,then by radio call if the situation was serious . Also First aid workers sat in designated areas around the arena w/radios and the local attendents knew where they were .Besides those in the actual First Aid department. A trained volunteer is better able to judge if it is a true emergency and following prodical helps keep 911 from being flooded with multiple calls . Getting a trained person to the scene quickly is actually the best for the patient in a true emergency situation .

If the arena had difibulators the trained volunteers could use the equipment before the ambulance arrived ,However because of liability laws they could not bring their own equipment in .

In all the yrs. he worked First Aid there were very few needs for ambulance calls . Many times people did come to the convention however with pre-existing conditions that they should have stayed HOME with .( post op , or just given birth or some serious health issues )

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Mulan,, Yes I remember Rick he was a good guy. I was very upset that he had a motorcycle accident.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First aid is for the everyday problems that happen any time you have a large group of people. If someone gets a cut, you go to first aid. If someone gets a bad headache or tummy ache, you go to first aid. If someone falls down the stairs and has nothing really serious (just a bang'um), you go to first aid. That is what they are supposed to be there for, and the person in charge of the department had better make sure they know how to treat minor incidents like those.

However, serious problems are not for first aid. I don't even advocate relying on natural remedies in serious emergencies like a person having a heart attack or stroke--that is where the finest hospitals are at their best. Major fractures, such as a hip or leg, are also best treated in the hospital (a broken pinky might be treated by a good first aid staff, under the condition that they call the doctor to get it set properly). If a person is having a crisis like a stroke or heart attack, drugs and surgery are going to be needed at once, and first aid do not have either on hand. They should have the first person with a cell phone that sees a situation like this call emergency at once, regardless of policy (and if the attendants have a heart attack of their own, that would warrant a call to the local newspaper).

One thing that should be known is, after the call to 911 is made, a person suffering a heart attack should be given an aspirin. A regular aspirin works best, and it should be chewed for fastest effect. It will work along with the drugs and surgery that the emergency team will administer to do their work better. However, one should never give aspirin to a stroke patient unless you know it isn't a hemorragic stroke. The call to the hospital emergency room is the first priority in these serious emergencies. And let the first aid concentrate on the child that gets a bump or scrape.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

At the DC in my area this year, an announcement was made from the platform not to call 911 from your cell phone but to contact an attendant. Apparently there was a problem with 911 being called at every assembly (there is a lot of whacko's that attend) for non emergencies. I was at 3 assemblies at a row where an ambulance came and took someone away. And the attendants had no idea due to the EMT;'s getting there before the attendants were notified. It's quite funny to watch these guys who think they are important basically being told to get lost by the EMT's.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Thought I'd give my post from last year a bump.

I wondered if anyone attending has any 1st aid stories...or any of the newbies. In my original post I wondered about liability for giving written direction to "not call 911" & contact 1st aid. Anyone out there with legal expertise that knows if WT could be sued for intimidating the attendants to NOT call 911.

• Gram
    Gram

If all the good Dubs followed the direction about no higher learning, pretty soon there would be nobody left with any training. What would they do then?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I cannot find my old post so I will recap a story. I was an attendant at a circuit assembly when a lady collapsed near me. Some people helped and we got her to First Aid. First Aid was staffed by a lady nurse, highly trained. We gave the lady oxygen and the nurse determined that she should get an ambulance. The brother in charge of the building would not call 911 because a "sister" from First Aid requested it. He said to find the "brother" in charge of First Aid to determine the need. I told him, I am a brother, I will call 911 on my cell phone because this highly trained nurse determined the need, and I want to comply. The brother in charge gave in and dialed. What a joke.

Regardless of what they say, you need to minimize lawsuits by getting people the best care. Most first aid incidents are not 911 calls, but don't hold back from using your cell phone if your loved one needs an ambulance.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    The brother in charge of the building would not call 911 because a "sister" from First Aid requested it. He said to find the "brother" in charge of First Aid to determine the need.

This guy would get along splendidly at at Bethel. Redundant Micromanagement and Lording it Over Others are required courses for new Bethel Overseers, it would seem.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

OtW Out: That is mind blowingly, unfreaking believable!!! What a tool, that "bro" was. To actually put a life in danger, because he wanted a "brother" to make the determination.

Very sad individuals in da troof

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit