Just when you think you are getting better...

by Princess Daisy Boo 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

I have been thinking that I am over it - I am OK - I am not angry anymore, but after a conversation with one of my best friends today, well I am not sure...

My husband comes from an Anglican/Catholic background. We, however, as a couple are not religious at all and have never tried to take our kids to church or Sunday School etc. I sometimes feel that we should be giving them some attempt at a christian education, but I cannot bring myself to go to a church.

This forthcoming Sunday we are invited to a family christening in the catholic church. Nic and I have a prior commitment for lunch, but our babysitters for the day are going to the christening and therefore so are my kids. I have been preparing the kids for the experience - telling them where they are going and so on and my 5 year old proudly announces how he is so excited as he has never been to church - I am hoping that he doesn't announce this too loudly at the event! Anyway I digress...

My friend and I were chatting about Ewan's comment and whether or not we should be taking the kids to sunday school and she asked why I have this aversion to church. I started explaining things to her. I told her about going to meetings three times a week and going on FS and what the meetings were like and what my parents were like and so on. I tried to explain away my issues with "God" and why I dont even know whether I believe in Him. I told her that it is a mind control cult and it's members are brainwashed and she was shocked - she said she always figured they were a bit loony but she never realised just how so. She said that from what I had told her, I should have been seeing a shrink to deal with these issues. She said that she thought I should be working through these things and not burying them.

Suddenly I had a meltdown - I think she may be right. I feel like I am back to where I started. I am not over it.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

You are working on it, you're here aren't ya! Don't feel so down over this took me many years

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

(((((PDB)))))

I've been out since 2001 & I still have my moments!!! I don't think it is something that we ever 100% get over.

I've comtemplated seeing a therapist myself, but just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I've always been one to think I can handle my problems on my own. I do okay with everything until I have to see my side of the family. That's when all the BS starts again...

• Robdar
    Robdar

I don't think it's possible to completely recover. I've been out over 20 years and still, occasionally, I lose it.

Hang in there.

Robyn

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I've been out for 20 years too, and sometimes I lose it, as well. If you think you need therapy, then go for it, But don't beat yourself up for being human. The longer I am out, the more shocked I am at what a cult the WTB&TS really is. I think that is normal.

• milligal
    milligal

You know what though? I have been to several therapists and I almost have my psych degree now (I know just enough to be dangerous :), the thing is that as long as this issue isn't interfering with your day to day life than you are functioning normally; an occassional meltdown? Even people who have never been through this ordeal suffer those.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and if you feel like you want more support or need to talk some things out-then you could find a qualified therapist. I do agree that this issue follows us for the rest of our lives, particularly if we have family or children who are raised around the witness environment as with ex-spouses. It comes and goes...

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I don't know that we ever fully recover, get over it, whatever you might want to call it...but we do build up more resources to deal with it, make a life bigger than it (so that it's power gets diluted), and we become stronger in the face of it. One day, you realize, oh, yeah, I guess that'll always be a part of me...and look at all the other great things that are also a part of me. IMHO.

• trevor
    trevor
    I am not over it.

WE never get over the experiences that we live through. All we can hope for is to accept them and move on using the lessons learned to avoid further mistakes. The process goes on all our lives. In the end we realise that none of it matters anyway.

Pain fades as time passes except for the occasional days when an old wound plays up.

'We will have arrived at the end of our travels when we arrive at the place we started and for the first time know the place.'

Tread carefully

Trevor

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Been out since 1980

Still plagues me on occasion

Keep working at it

I think the best you could do for your kids

is teach them good principals and values

and when they get older they can decide

what they want to do.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sometimes it just isn't easy.....but hang in there, that's all we can do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit