Car mpg performance. Can anyone explain this?

by coffee_black 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I have an old 1979 Chrysler 300 that I keep around for fun. This is a massive car. it weighs 4,600 lbs. and has a large V8 engine, 4 barrel carburetor and dual exhausts. It gets roughly 28 miles to the gallon on the highway. My 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 has the same size engine (fuel injected) and is roughly the same weight, but only gets 21 miles to the gallon on the highway, maximum. My typical gas mileage on the truck ranges from 14 to 19 m.p.g. My 1995 Toyota Corolla gets 38 miles to the gallon with over 200,000 miles on the engine. I don't think the new Toyota Corolla gets that kind of gas mileage!

Now, there is a reason why many vehicles with larger engines get better gas mileage on the highway. The reason is that once a vehicle is up to speed, a larger engine doesn't have to work as hard to maintain speed. A small engine has to work harder. If you were to buy a full size pickup truck, you would probably not see a significant difference in the MPG between a V8 and a V6 due to the size of the vehicle. In fact, if you were to tow something, the V6 would probably use more gas than the V8.

Here's my problem: There has not been a significant across-the-board increase in fuel economy in at least 20 years. Why? Because the government hasn't made the manufacturers do it yet! The only reason they make the selection of small cars with the gas mileage they have is to comply with CAFE standards to offset the terrible gas mileage of their real market which has been trucks and SUVs. Of course a Toyota Corolla gets good gas mileage! It's a beer can fitted with roller skates! It should get 60 miles to the gallon! It is no huge feat of engineering to make a tiny clown car get "good" gas mileage. We know that gas mileage can be improved. The Honda Insight is capable of 115 MPG. Don't beleive me? Google it! I'm usually against the government getting involved in private industry, but maybe its time that the government forces the auto makers to substantially increase the mpg requirements on vehicles. And I don't mean let them have an easy way out of it. It isn't enough to simply cut back production on trucks and SUVs to slide under the CAFE requirements. The auto makers need to make all of their vehicles significantly more efficient.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Another factor is that pretty much all focus over the years has been on raising performance rather than gas mileage. As a whole, cars have a much higher performance standard today than they did in the past...The manufacturers have achieved this while maintaining gas mileage, but not improving much on it.

Take the Acura Integra from the late 80s, for example. The engine provided 113 hp, and it had a combined city/hwy rated gas mileage of 25 mpg.

In contrast, a base 2006 RSX (the re-badged replacement model for the Integra) has 160 hp (also available and combined city/hwy rated mileage at 26 mpg.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

My friend at work has the same SL1 and he's getting 39 - I have a 2006 Elantra and am getting 32

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you. That explains a lot. I was looking at at few cars, one with a 2.5 engine (I think???) and then 3, and 3.5, all the est MPG was the same. But the dealer said people were moving toward the smaller engine.

• M.J.
    M.J.

smaller engine will generally give you higher mpg (as long as its suited to the typical load).

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

One thing that automakers haven't put into cars and I don't know why is a system that would shut the engine down completely when you come to a complete stop and then start it back up when you press on the accelerator pedal. Seems like they oughta be able to engineer something like that, and think of how much fuel it would save.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"One thing that automakers haven't put into cars and I don't know why is a system that would shut the engine down completely when you come to a complete stop and then start it back up when you press on the accelerator pedal. Seems like they oughta be able to engineer something like that, and think of how much fuel it would save."

Unless I'm mistaken...

The Honda Insight is a hybrid car. It has a bank of batteries and a gas engine (3-cylinder). It works opposite the Toyota Prius... that is... it uses the gas engine most of the time - unless you demand more power from it - in which case, the electric motor kicks in.

Now... I don't know about the newer models, but when it first came out, it had this feature. It would be idling at a traffic light - and the engine would shut off. Then, when the accelerator pedal was depressed - when the light changed, the motor would re-start... and off you would go.

So. There you have it.

Regards,

Jim TX

• 5go
    5go

Simple you won't buy gas sippers no matter how much you say you want one. If you really wanted a gas sipper any car with little to no accessories can get good gas mileage short of big V8s and V6s. Americans want these damn distractions! Which add weigh and suck down power and gas in their cars. Look at European cars they rarely have the things their US cousins have and are better driving cars to boot. Heck automatics are rare in Europe.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Gary, I intend to keep it...but the mileage is way up there... and I'm realistic. The body is in good shape...and it runs fine... I drive alone most of the time and I don't want to take the chance of breaking down far from home. I drive close to 30,000 business miles a year. My company doesn't provide a car, but does pay mileage..

5go... I don't drive a gas guzzler... that's the point. I want a car that is as good on gas as the one I have, and at the same time is roomy enough to accomodate all the stuff I have to carry with me for my job.... My car is basic...no frills. It's a 4 cylinder engine.

BTS I'll check out the Kia. Thanks!

When the time comes, I'll most likely get a car that's a year or 2 old....with low mileage. With the miles I have to put on a car, it doesn't make sense to take the depreciation of the first year.

Coffee

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: I don't want to take the chance of breaking down far from home.

Maybe that's the difference. I don't want to chance breaking down near home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit