You think 4$/gallon gas sucks? We have it so good...

by nvrgnbk 39 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

What the world eats:

http://www.everybodygoto.com/2007/10/12/what-people-eat-around-the-world/

BTS

$5 bucks a week aint a sweet deal when the income is $8 bucks a week.

Those North Carolina folks spend a whole bunch of pop and stuff that comes in a can or a box compared to the California folks. Maybe thats why they spend much more?

It's all relative.......the true question is how much is available.

Jeff

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have to think about this. A person is going to work for a month and then not get enough pay to buy a 99cent squash?

Maybe he is in shock or denial.

Maybe he is stuppid.

Maybe I am blessed.

I just finished reading Barak Obamas book Dreams of my father. Colonialsim, the white man came and disrupted their hunter gatherer lifestyle. The Africans in Africa are like the American Indian.

This person described here does not seem to be adapting.

I hope we here in America will be able to adapt to the changes those in power are forcing on us.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Once the bread basket of Africa now it's the basket case of Africa. Good job Mugabe.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    the Holocene has only been for 10,000 years, and we do not digest starch either... we lack the enzyme Amalyse.

The enzyme amylase is found both in human saliva which begins to break down starch in the mouth and also in the pancreas. Don't know where you got this info from, Mincan, but amylase was the first human digestive enzyme to be isolated.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    When I joined this forum, I was going to avoid all political stuff, but..........

What's happening in Zimbabwe has nothing to do with someone trying to get to work in Indiana. It's a political problem in Zimbabwe. There is no shortage of oil, food, or anything else on this planet, it's more that we have a surplus of greed. The true cost of oil is about $10/barrel. If we had a true free market, gas would be well under $2/gallon.

No, we don't have it good in the states. I'm just barely scraping by and a lot of people are in the same boat. Meanwhile, in Saudia Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, etc, gas is a buck a gallon, and they live lives of complete luxury. Go pick on them for a change. Working Americans are getting screwed again like they always do.

And some of us are trying to support grandchildren working two jobs and getting less than 25 hours per week, going to food banks and wondering how on earth we will make it until the lease is up if we don't find full time work in an economy where companies are so damn greedy they will not hire fulltime employees because they don't want to provide fulltime benefits and then they treat you like a slave. Out of breath? You should be. I predict that if gas keeps rising steeply and quickly, we will see the US deteriorate into a third world country and things won't be any kinder here than they are in places like Zimbabwe. I was thinking about it today: our world is in the hands of unbridled greed. And it could be the ruin of modern civilization if something doesn't turn around. I don't mean it's the end of the world. I mean it's going to be the end of the world as we know it. And those greedy businessman running the show? They'll end up falling to the bottom just like the top floors in the World Trade Center came crashing down. How ironic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGqroT1FZ5Y

• Mincan
    Mincan

Mincan,

Consumption and Population are both connected to resources.
    Yes, but not in the equal parity you suggest. Do a little research as to consumption in ratio to population for the worlds nations and it will show just how heavily flawed your logic is. You connected 'population' with 'greed'. As I said, flawed logic. HS

He said something along the lines of "There is no lack of resources, only too much greed" I turned it into "There is no lack of resources, only too many people"

I did no such thing as connecting population with greed. I was substituting greed with human population.

The enzyme amylase is found both in human saliva which begins to break down starch in the mouth and also in the pancreas. Don't know where you got this info from, Mincan, but amylase was the first human digestive enzyme to be isolated.

Got my info from a faulty memory chip in my hippocampus or amygdala... studied enzymes back in 06, sorry about that... upon looking up which enzyme I meant (the one responsible for digesting plant fibres if a species posesses an endogenous supply) I meant phytase, humans lack phytase. Thanks for getting me straight on that. Hate to spread false information.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There are plenty of resources for the present population on this earth. They are not distributed very well due to greed.

• Mincan
  • Sway
    Sway

Hey FHN, you got it right! You understood what I said.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Here's Cathy Buckle's latest installment:

Dear Family and Friends,
    It's hard to believe that almost four months have passed since Zimbabweans
    voted for an MDC parliamentary majority and gave MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai
    the most presidential ballots. It's like that day never happened as 16 weeks
    down the line, the old order remains in place and we are stuck in a state of
    leadership denial.

It's been a brutal four months that Zimbabwe will never forget. A time when the
    country's leaders have bombarded us with hate speech, threatened us with war and
    tried to make us believe that they are immortal and their rule eternal. For the
    last four months we have been a population in a state of mourning as a litany of
    horror has become our daily lives: murder, torture, abduction, rape and arson.

And now, after all these weeks of abuse and before the soil has settled over
    fresh graves, gifts are being given by the same people who threatened war.
    Scotch carts, tractors, ploughs and cultivators are being handed out at
    gatherings where everyone is waving little flags, wearing Zanu PF clothes and
    dancing for the leaders.

It's hard to fathom that this can possibly be real: that people can be cheering
    and ululating for farming implements before the tears for the dead are even dry
    on our faces, before the results of our votes in the March elections have been
    implemented, let alone accepted.

It seems to be of no consequence that the constitutional deadline for the
    swearing in of MP's and Senators, the election of the Speaker of the House and
    Senate and the ceremonial opening of Parliament have all been missed.

As I write this letter the leaves from the Msasa trees are falling thick and
    fast. They are early this year and the sound of them raining down on the roof
    gives notice of a new season about to start. The falling of the leaves, like the
    wishes of the people, cannot be stopped - no matter how many gifts are given.
    Until next week, thanks for reading, love cathy. Copyright cathy buckle 20 July
    www.cathybuckle.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit