You think 4$/gallon gas sucks? We have it so good...

by nvrgnbk 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Mincan
    Mincan

If we starve the Saudis for a while maybe they will play ball.

We dont live in the 3rd world...but we feed them...and ourselfs.

The "Saudis" (only the elite are really Saudis, the rest are simply Arabs) are starving... the large majority of them that is. There is no work, and there is no future in sight for them. They live in a desert and only the vast energy inputs of oil have allowed them to multiply their population in such numbers, without the needed concurrent social development.

Oil feeds them, and "ourselfs"[sic].

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Hopefully gas will hit $6 a gallon and stay there- Indi dude

Me and some of the neighbors could cut down to 80 acres... a couple of mule hitches and some horses and make it pretty well. So I hope gas gets to $6 bucks. You and all your 3rd world neighbors will do well on the diet your about to go on.

Jeff

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

A.) Cattle were never meant to be raised eating corn in the first place. It's inefficient and the animals digestive tract hasn't evolved to eating it in the most effective way possible. Think free range, grass fed beef. You know, like how they do it in Argentina. Not on a flesh farm factory.

B.) You either need to get more for your product, or find something else to do with the assets, land, etc that you own.

C.) Just like high oil prices have made people reevaluate their usage of oil and gas, higher meat costs only will benefit them as well as Americans eat far too much fat and animal products.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    "Saudis" (only the elite are really Saudis, the rest are simply Arabs) are starving... the large majority of them that is. There is no work, and there is no future in sight for them. They live in a desert and only the vast energy inputs of oil have allowed them to multiply their population in such

Your right Mincan....... Saudi...Kuwait...all those countries are doing a favor to those American and European contractors who go over to supervise all those foreign nationals who come over as contract labor.

They dont work cause they dont need to. And the Beadouins who choose to live the tribal life do pretty well for what that life is.

Jeff

• Mincan
    Mincan

C.) Just like high oil prices have made people reevaluate their usage of oil and gas, higher meat costs only will benefit them as well as Americans eat far too much fat and animal products.

Amercans eat for too much High Fructose Corn Syrup (Triglyceride and Cholestreol spike anyone?) and MSGs(mmm can't get enough! its like my appetite never turns off!). Humans evolved on a largely animal product based diet with only seasonal intake of vegetation... the Holocene has only been for 10,000 years, and we do not digest starch either... we lack the enzyme Amalyse.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Cattle were never meant to be raised eating corn in the first place. It's inefficient and the animals digestive tract hasn't evolved to eating it in the most effective way possible. Think free range, grass fed beef. You know, like how they do it in Argentina. Not on a flesh farm factory.

B.) You either need to get more for your product, or find something else to do with the assets, land, etc that you own.

C.) Just like high oil prices have made people reevaluate their usage of oil and gas, higher meat costs only will benefit them as well as Americans eat far too much fat and animal products

Me and the boys were just talking about that at the Sale barn the other night. Expect a big run on the tofu market soon.

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    A.) Cattle were never meant to be raised eating corn in the first place. It's inefficient and the animals digestive tract hasn't evolved to eating it in the most effective way possible. Think free range, grass fed beef. You know, like how they do it in Argentina. Not on a flesh farm factory.

That is how it was before WWII. Then the corn industry got enough political influence to change things.

As Mincan noted, meat isn't the problem. It is all the processed starch. We're evolved to eat meat. Not Twinkies.

BTS

• Open mind
    Open mind

First off, thanks for the reminder Nate.

I'm with Indo-Dude on this one.

Those of us living in industrialized nations in the 21st century have won the "Birth Lottery", IMO.

First, consider "PLACE". People living on the street in San Francisco have it much better than those in Calcutta. Not saying they don't get killed, spit on, etc. but there are a whole lot more resources available "here" than "there".

Second, throw "TIME" into the mix and we should really thank our lucky stars we're living now. The average person living on public assistance in the 21st century has a FAR better standard of living than Dukes & Earls of Europe did in the early Middle Ages.

As for reading books, here are a couple I've recently finished that have reinforced my sense of gratitude. These are certainly not scholarly works by any stretch, but the messages I got from them were worthwhile, IMO.

"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. Made me very glad to NOT be living in 13th Century England.

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Setting was some unexplained post-apocalyptic world. Made me appreciate food, water, shelter, warmth and (relative) security.

om

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Cattle were never meant to be raised eating corn in the first place. It's inefficient and the animals digestive tract hasn't evolved to eating it in the most effective way possible. Think free range, grass fed beef. You know, like how they do it in Argentina. Not on a flesh farm factory.

your right....we should all eat free range beef. Corn is the work of the devil.

Feed lots and HAY (both produced using bio-fuels) allow us to produce beef at a rate that keeps up with demand.

Range beef needs hay all winter......... tons of it. All livestock feed (not just corn) is produced using fuel intensive methods.

The mixed grain feed that we feed horses has gone from about $7-50# to $10 lately..........

Can either of you kids tell the difference between a hoe and a shovel?

Hill

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    DJ MARKET TALK: CME Live Cattle Hit 2-Mo Lows; Feeders Up
    11:26 AM, July 17, 2008

1226 EDT [Dow Jones] - CME live cattle lose more ground on trailing midday boxed beef prices and sell stops that knocked spot-Aug and nearby-Oct to two-month lows. Spreaders also sell Dec and buy Oct. And CBOT corn's fall toppled deferred-month cattle. Aug is 95 points lower at 97.65 cents a pound, and Oct is 100 points lower at 105.35 cents. Feeder cattle are up slightly on short covering and CBOT corn's retreat. However, feeder futures are under pressure from eroding live cattle futures. Aug is up 27 points at 111.40 cents a pound, and Sep is up 2 points at 113.55 cents. (TWA) Contact us in Chicago at 312-750-4075; [email protected] (END) Dow Jones Newswires 07-17-08 1226ET Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. 12:26 071708

Thats good news if we can afford to feed those steers . But with fuel on other production cost going up ..margins just wont be there.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit