Wedding Talks

by Alexia 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dietequiladie
    dietequiladie

My favourite jw wedding (apart from my own) was a few months ago when my husband's apprentice was married and his Grandfather got up at the reception to offer a prayer. He took it upon himself to contrast 'worldly' marriages and jw ones. The gall of this guy who was removed as an elder and from bethel because he had sexually abused his daughter and denied it and then finally admitted to it. His family of course sided with him until his admission. No longer an elder or at Bethel but still gives him the right to 'judge' so called 'worldly' marriages. Truly sick. And yes , the daughter he abused was at the wedding. Bah.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Another example of how every single witless experience is programmed. The talks are not unique to the individuals involved. And they tell people how to do the sex act, as if doing it some other way is unacceptable (and what of any children present?).

I wouldn't even have anything to do with the damn Kingdumb Hell anymore. There are just too many rules, and I do not want to support them in any way, shape, or form. Besides, they would make sure I would never ever get to have any wedding--because they want me in the Value Destroyer Training School and to eventually put the Washtowel Slaveholdery in a position to plunge the whole world into the Second Dark Ages.

• blondie
    blondie

The elders in the congregation can still control a wedding; no jw man can give the talk without the BOE's permission without losing "privileges." They can also put pressure on jws who are attending that are elders, MS, and pioneers. People in these categories have been removed for attending a wedding of jws that do not meet the individual BOE's rules.

Blondie

• NikL
    NikL

When I was married back in the 80s, the elder that gave the talk promised us it would only be 5-10, minutes...actually more like 45 minutes! My wife and I were so pissed but what could we do?

• TreadClimberMaster
    TreadClimberMaster

UGH!!! JW weddings suck royally!!!!

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Key in on this one........AND A THREEFOLD CHORD CANNOT BE BROKEN....

NMG

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Key in on this one........AND A THREEFOLD CHORD CANNOT BE BROKEN....

NMG

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I must have been to fifty JW weddings. Many of them were by the same bro, nice enough bloke, but I could give it myself now I knew the talk so well. The last one I went to added an interesting twist; he did five minutes on 'pheromones' and how they're so active when we're young but they wear off and you lose interest in each other. It was appalling. I said so while it was going on, quite loudly to somebody near me, I was up the back in the crowded hallway where I thought nobody could hear. Everybody did, apparently.

We left the reception early.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Aw, JW wedding talks. I've heard some awful ones!

Lots of people choose to NOT get married in a KHall because you do have a lot more control over the wedding. You can have your own music, more freedom with regard to guests etc.

An important side point that more people ought to consider. The Witnesses teach that ALL members become ordained ministers at the time of their baptism - a point that was constantly used in dealing with draft boards, etc. SO, ANY JW should be legally able to perform a wedding ceremony, NOT just elders or MS. And really, this should also include sisters (though I don't know of anyone who would be quite that bold!).

I know this is true because I did a wedding talk AFTER I stepped down as an elder. I went to the BOE and they said it was OK, and I had no trouble with the license. I'd already done plenty of weddings, but this was my first when I wasn't a servant or elder. It was an outside wedding, and I was already well on my way to apostasy! I actually quoted from the Tao Te Ching more than I used the Bible! I pretty much completely ignored the WTS outline.

But again, ANY baptized brother could give a wedding talk. The BOE might not like it, but it's legal unless they've changed that teaching.

And terrible illustrations? How about Captain and wife as 1st Mate, or wife as a "helpmate" or even worse, a "helpmeet?"

S4

• JK666
    JK666

nomo,

Yes, the DREADED threefold cord!

That third cord was a pain in the arse.

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit