Wedding Talks

by Alexia 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alexia
    Alexia

A few weeks ago, there was a thread started on JW funeral talks and how horrible they are, but what about those wedding talks?

Talks that has nothing to do with the couple itself, but an advertisement about how wonderful marriage in Jehovah’s organization is. *eye roll * The worst is when they have to bring up sex in the marriage in a wedding talk *barf*. Imagine all of your non JW friends, co-workers, and family who is coming to see you get married get lectured as to how to have sex in your marriage.

I also disliked how I couldn’t invite who I wanted to the wedding. I mean, its open for anyone to show up regardless if I wanted them there or not. Receptions, I know are different

What were your “wedding talks” favorites?

• MominAustin
    MominAustin

Not about the wedding talk --- but Believe it or not there was a girl that wore a BLACK wedding dress and it was acceptable!! I guess since "white" is a pagan tradition (roll eyes)

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

My wife is a florist, and she had a JW wedding that she did flowers for and everything was planned months in advance, a couple days before the wedding she got a call that the venue had changed and that it was not going to be at the kingdumb hall and it was going to be at a house, my wife was shocked, she asked me why would they choose not to get married in their church, I said looks like they couldn't keep it in their pants and confessed. don't know any other reasons why they wouldn't have it a the hall.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Oh when my niece got married, she had a JW elder marry her, and she didn't get married in the hall either, the elder looked like he was performing at the Apollo, he had a purple/wine color suit, the suit jacket was like a 6 button suit that went all the way past his knees, he had silk and gator skin shoes with diamond studs, his tie matched his shoes and was 1/2 leather 1/2 silk with diamond studs across the upper part, his dress shirt was the same color as his shirt with a white collar, and he had a pimp style hat. I was like no way this guy is a JW, but when he started talking he sure was, with the exception of he spoke like a baptist preacher that you see on tv, and I was yelling at myself inside my head for not bringing a camera to record this guy. He was totally Pimp yo Elder!

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

The wedding talks are very generic. There was an article in the Watchtower (don't remember when) that actually had an outline or "format" of what should be said. Maybe somebody has a scan of it? All my literature are in boxes!!

The bride and groom have to be baptised and be in approved standing. When we got married we were told that everyone in the bridal party had to be in approved standing also. I don't know if this was a local thing or what but I never saw it in writing. I have noticed lately many couples are getting married at parks or reception halls, even fancy hotels. The wedding talks that are given at these places are more personal and lively. Wedding talks at the hall are more serious and downright dismal.... (The kingdom hall is an ugly place for a wedding anyway)

Meow

• Alexia
    Alexia

Where I’m from, getting married outside the KH = you did something that would disqualify you from having it there OR you’re trying to be extravagant, etc. Older couples got away with having it at the courthouse, but if you were younger than 30-35, you had better do it at the KH.

MominAustin, what would be wrong with a black wedding dress? What would be MY kind of dress!

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I remember seeing a scan of the wedding talk here a while back...does anyone have the link - I'd love to have it again.

• MissingLink
  • joannadandy
    joannadandy

Awesome thanks Link!

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I knew a few people who got married outside the hall for the very reason they wanted to invite whoever they liked. Going to outside weddings has always been much funner then JW weddings especially the receptions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit