by MegaDude 35 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Camped on North Dome in Yosemite and rafted the American River/Middle Fork

Highly recommended.

Pics:

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

MEgadude!! How freaking fun was that? I so wish I was there. Beautiful shots too! I love adventure!

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Thank you. You can't take a bad picture in Yosemite.

I don't go on trips to relax and usually come back more fatigued than when I left. Always worth it.

• Pandoras cat
    Pandoras cat

Beautiful pictures!! We love to hike also. Have you ever hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls?

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Haven't hiked up there yet. But then again, there are many beautiful hikes to get to there.

How hard was it to hike up to the top of the falls? The North Dome hike wasn't bad at all, not nearly as hard as Half Dome. The only thing was it was so cold at night and my three-season sleeping bag failed. I spent the night freezing to death in June.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Nice pictures.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    The North Dome hike wasn't bad at all, not nearly as hard as Half Dome. The only thing was it was so cold at night and my three-season sleeping bag failed. I spent the night freezing to death in June.

What's the difference between the two domes? Does it really get that cold in June? Is that because it's a high elevation then?

Great photos. Good to see you again.

Chris

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Hiya, Chris.

The difference between hiking to Half Dome and hiking to North Dome is hyyyyuge. The hike to Half Dome is a brutal uphill hike for six hours that ends with a cable climb to the very top. Last time I did it I swore I would never do it again I was in such pain after completing it. North Dome is a mere three hours of moderate hiking from the road.

As to the cold, I think you're right, it's the elevation. The day of hiking was very pleasant in shorts and a t-shirt. I have never been to the park in June but there was still large patches of icy snow on the trail. When the sun set, the temp plumeted into the 40s or colder. Kept a fire going most of the night to stave off the misery of being perpetually cold. When the sun rose we fried like ants under some kid's magnifying glass and hurried to get back into the forest. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Half Dome on the right, North Dome directly across from it.

alt

• MegaDude

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit