an adventure trip to northern California

by MegaDude 35 Replies latest jw friends

• amicus
    amicus
    I spent the night freezing to death in June.

Ugh, trying to sleep while shivering is about as bad as it gets.

Where you put in, or take out (depending if you did the upper or lower middle fork run) is the area where gold was discovered in CA. There's a nice little old bar there too where you can suck down a few cold ones and get a bite to eat after a hard day on the river. ;-)

• MegaDude
  • MegaDude
    MegaDude
    Where you put in, or take out (depending if you did the upper or lower middle fork run) is the area where gold was discovered in CA.

Yes, that's what our guide was telling us. In fact, the chute where we did the intense rapid was dug out and dynamited by those miners from The Gold Rush.

When we stopped for lunch, you could see fool's gold all over the sand in the river where it glittered like the real thing.

Even saw a couple of scuba divers in the river with dredgers doing some mining.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Way cool photos. Nina needs to see this.

Chris

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Right now anything with ice or snow sounds really good to me!

• amicus
    amicus
    In fact, the chute where we did the intense rapid was dug out and dynamited by those miners from The Gold Rush.

That chute is too awesome for words, while not a "true rapid" per se, it's easily as fun as any rapid on the north or middle fork of the American.

• moreisbetter
    moreisbetter

AWSOME amazing pics..Thank you so much for sharing....the Half Dome- North Dome pic is my fav with the rafting pics a second. Very happy for you that you could have that adventure. And wb MD.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Great trip.

Your pics are awsome.

I camped twice in Yosemite, once in 1956 then in about 81. Got to swim in the Merced River on the way in and out.

It is a beautiful place, thanks for sharing.

Brant

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    Right now anything with ice or snow sounds really good to me!

I agree, Chris. I guarantee you even in August it is chilly up there at night.

AWSOME amazing pics..Thank you so much for sharing....the Half Dome- North Dome pic is my fav with the rafting pics a second.

The scenery all over the park is inspirational. The river trip was beautiful because I didn't see a single house the whole trip. Very pristine.

I camped twice in Yosemite, once in 1956 then in about 81.

Must have been a lot less crowded than it is now. However, if you hike an hour into the woods in any direction there aren't that many people. I probably saw less than 10 people on the way up.

That chute is too awesome for words, while not a "true rapid" per se, it's easily as fun as any rapid on the north or middle fork of the American.

It is awesome when you know how to stay in the raft. Not so awesome last year when the oarsman ran us into the wall and I wasn't fully sitting down. I nearly ejected into the water and I was extremely terrified. The trick is to be fully sitting down with your butt on the floor of the raft when going through that chute. The guy sitting to my left was a big guy too so there wasn't enough room for me to get nestled in there. When we hit the wall of the chute I popped forward. BEFORE PICTURE:

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

IMPACT!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit