Labeling people "worldly"

by JimmyPage 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch
    crap, did i spell it wrong?

some college student i am ;)

Nah, yer just a sarcastic kid with a chip on his shoulder. I'm a sarcastic old guy with a chip on his shoulder,....takes one to know one,...lol ;)

• flipper
    flipper

JIMMY- Very true what you say. Reconnecting our witness family with authentic " non-witness" activities they did before being a witness is a really good way to get them out of " cult " thinking. It makes them real- if only for awhile ! Truth be told- many witnesses act way more worldly than many people actually out in the world who are NOT witneses ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It
    we were told long ago not to label people as "worldly" or "worldlings" and to only use worldly to define actions, etc.

and btw, JWs arent the originator of the term "Worldly" to describe a type of people -- look in a dictionary sometime :)

"Long ago"? Lots of witnesses not getting the memo. Convenient there. Geez, "worldlings" is even worse.

Regardless of what group originated the term it is still manipulation still used by JWs. Name calling is so counterproductive. It seems to me that there are some kinder, gentler congregations out there. But the majority of JWs seem to want to judge and be judged. God forbid some might use thier conscience to make a decision instead of running to the latest bound volume/ CDROM dogma for answers.

-- Not Feeling It

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting Quote AWAKE 22.06 '98

From Our Readers - E. J., United States

I just loved the article “The Bible’s Viewpoint: ‘No Part of the World’—What Does It Mean?” (September 8, 1997) After studying it, I decided to stop using the expression “worldling” to describe non-Christians. After all, 30 years ago, I myself was not yet a Christian. If the person who first introduced me to the Bible had taken a supercilious attitude, then I might never have wanted to speak with a Witness again!

I have not found any recent references to the term "worldling" on thw c/d rom...Plenty of the term "worldly" though !

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

are there recent instances of calling PEOPLE and not their ACTIONS worldly?

• donny
    donny

Wasn't there a commercial not so long ago that proclaimed "So worldly, so welcome!"

• blondie
    blondie

*** w06 4/1 p. 19 When Exercising Authority, Imitate the Christ ***

Worldly despots "lord it over" others by imposing their will on them and insisting that they do things in a certain way, threatening sanctions if they disobey

*** w06 7/1 p. 7 Finding True Enlightenment ***

Accurate Bible knowledge can protect you from so-called enlightenment based on the philosophies of worldly "wise and intellectual ones," who "have rejected the very word of Jehovah."

*** w05 10/1 p. 30 par. 13 Parents—What Future Do You Want for Your Children? ***

However, many worldly youths view all such things merely as part of the education, and they think nothing of it.

*** w02 2/15 p. 23 A Hiding Place From the Wind ***

"In an attempt to overcome my depression, I began to go out with a worldly boyfriend

*** w02 10/1 p. 10 Youths Who Love the Truth ***

"A good relationship with the brothers and regular attendance at the meetings have kept me from missing my worldly friends and the activities that are popular with kids, such as going to discotheques

*** cl chap. 4 p. 44 par. 19 "Jehovah Is . . . Great in Power" ***

Think about another quality that God possesses, one that is rarely present in worldly rulers—self-restraint.

*** km 9/06 p. 7 par. 6 A Video That Deserves Serious Thought ***

How did she justify her association with worldly youths?

*** km 4/02 p. 1 par. 6 An Enthusiastic Response! ***

How did she justify her association with worldly youths?

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

nice -- i guess that goes right against what i heard was SUPPOSED to be the case. guess its okay for them but not for us?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    world·ly (wûrld'le) pronunciation
    adj., -li·er , -li·est .
    1. Of, relating to, or devoted to the temporal world.
    2. Experienced in human affairs; sophisticated or worldly-wise: “an experienced and worldly man who had been almost everywhere” (Willa Cather).
    adv.

The first definition only touches on the meaning that the bOrg gives to the word and by no means does the bOrg mean it to be a compliment. The second definition is what most people outside of the bOrg take the word to mean. I've decided that I will only use that word in context to the second definition, the jw definition is moot.

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Its a fear tactic. Keeps the sheep in line, if they are afraid they become of the 'infected world'. In my time as a witness it was effectively an insult. People who were 'worldly' or practiced 'worldly' things were of the worst kind, and yet it was ANYONE who was not a practicing JW. An effective control technique.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit