Labeling people "worldly"

by JimmyPage 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

By using the label "worldly" the WT shortchanges people. The same people it quotes as authorities in its magazines can also be easily dismissed if their opinion disagrees with the WT viewpoint by simply stating that after all, those persons are "worldly". But those who use this term also shortchange themselves. Seeing things only in black and white blinds you to the reality of technicolor.

Take my name Jimmy Page for example. On the one hand you could label Jimmy as a spiritistic immoral drug addict. And you would be right. But then you would be missing out on the beauty and power of Zeppelin's music. Instead of labelling it "heavy metal" Page himself said that his music consisted of large degrees of "light and shade".

I remember playing "In Through The Out Door" at home. When my dad heard it he instantly noticed the album bounced from a latin feel to country, to blues, and beyond. I remember when he wanted to watch my copy of "The Song Remains The Same". I didn't think he would get it. But he loved the part where drummer John Bonham raced his hot rods. Dad used to work in a pit crew himself pre-cult.

Maybe I shouldn't label Dad as a hopeless Dub. Maybe I should try to connect with his pre-cult identity by discussing those things that interested him in life prior to becoming a Witness. Maybe then I will see his own large degrees of "light and shade".

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

The Pharisees called anyone who wasn't in their in-crowd "people of the earth," right?

People of the earth

People of the world

Worldy people

To me, that simple label is on one of the most glaring hypocrisies in all of the JW culture.

• oompa
    oompa

Amen notfeelingit....you stole my post.....the elders...the chief label makers should just go around the hall with a real labelmaker in their hands putting stickers on everyone........oompa

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To me, "worldly" can be a good thing. A worldly person is anyone that is trying to be active in the world, and that can include people that are trying to make the world a better place.

In fact, both Plato and Aristotle were "worldly". Both were trying to make the world a different place. However, Plato declared that man needed tons of rules and regulations. Aristotle felt that we didn't need a lot of rules, and that the free market and science would ultimately solve problems. One got us into a mess of rules and regulations, while the other tried to set man free. Both worldly people--but total opposites.

• net1261
    net1261

I cannot tell you how many worldly people I have told that we call non-witnesses worldly.

• yknot
    yknot

Ditto Wizards comments....

But I am guilty....perhaps the lingo takes more time to lose.

Wordly Andre I always assumed that your name reflected your more cultured side......

• Twitch
    Twitch

But what do worldly people label themselves as?

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

we were told long ago not to label people as "worldly" or "worldlings" and to only use worldly to define actions, etc.

and btw, JWs arent the originator of the term "Worldly" to describe a type of people -- look in a dictionary sometime :)

• Twitch
    Twitch

What's a dictionary?

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

crap, did i spell it wrong?

some college student i am ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit