They won't leave me alone!!!! What can I do?

by almostbitten 27 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Next time she returns, ask her if they ever taught that the 1914 generation was a literal generation, that wouldn't pass away before the end came. When she says yes (no would be a lie) read her Deut. 18:20-22. Either she will have to admit they are false prophets, or she will tell you they weren't speaking for god, which will refute any claims of being his chosen people.

• VM44
    VM44

I have heard that most JWs will leave the house almost in a run if they see the home owner has a copy of Ray Franz's Crisis of Conscience!

• almostbitten
    almostbitten

Hey Quandry, I was becoming well acquainted with all that you stated, especially the higher education stance they have. Unbeknown to my teacher, I always did personal research on the very group I was studying with. Sorry, but I don't believe everthing that's fed to me unless I do some digging for myself. Which reminds me--whenever I would mention that I came across some of her Brothers and Sisters online, she would freak out, stating that the Elders try to discourage members from being on the internet. With that comment tucked in the back of my mind, I always found it amusing to see active Witnesses engage others in online discussions, thinking, "Won't you get in trouble for this?"

BTW, has anyone heard of a company called Stoops? I think that's it. They cater to the publishing needs of JWs as they are Witnesses themselves. Anyway, their name came up during a study when I expressed admiration for my teacher's NWT Bible which was also bound with the "What does the Bible really Teach" and the "Reasoning from the Scriptures" books. She mentioned their name and she was so sure they were just a regular business that happened to cater to JWs for the money. So I went online to find them because I wanted to see about having a Bible I owned re-covered. Well lo and behold!! They not only cater to Witnesses but are Witnesses themselves. Thinking nothing of it, I mentioned this to her and she went into a mild tirade at the table, stating that Jehovah's people are not supposed to profit off of one another. To be honest, I was halfway expecting her to try to hunt these people down and turn them over to their elders or something. What's up with that?????

In regards to the Revelation Book, what in the world?!?!?!? I went to one book study, read a page or two and promptly put it down, never to pick it up again. You know what's funny? The lady I studied with originally gave me an old edition with xeroxed copies of changes that the Society made to certain passages. No biggie, right? When I got to the book study, another lady saw that I had an old book and she snatched it from my hands and ran and got an updated book to give me. Was there something she didn't want me to see in the old edition? I've always heard the terms "Old Light" and "New Light." Would that have anything to do with it?

Last thing--what's up with Witness literature not really citing their sources? In high school and college, we had to cite sources if we did papers and whatnot. If nothing else, this made me wonder about the Organization. When I first started reading the literature, I would look in the back of an issue for some sort of formal bibliography, never to find one. What if I wanted to read up on this stuff for myself? Ooooooohhhh? I'm sorry. That's the whole point!!! Stupid me.

• yknot
    yknot

Do you think asking questions she can't answer is 'debating'....when she says "I'll do some research", why not have some already prepared for her to take with her and compare......tell her unless she can refute them without WT produced materials you aren't interested because of the circular thinking.

She clearly is indoctrinated but any bit you can do to get her to think critically is a major step.

Chances are she will run away but perhaps that little seed will sprout into an independent thought one day.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    BTW, has anyone heard of a company called Stoops? ... Well lo and behold!! They not only cater to Witnesses but are Witnesses themselves. ...I mentioned this to her and she went into a mild tirade at the table, stating that Jehovah's people are not supposed to profit off of one another....What's up with that?????

Great find with Stoops. My JW hubby is fond of McKenna Book Covers himself. Your sweet deluded lady really believes all the hype. Remember the bible story of the money-changers in the temple? JW's believe they have risen above all that. They are supposed to be better than the rest of Christendom with all their book-publishing empires, televangelism, and Veggie-Tales. Nevermind that the JW book counter resides within their own sanctuary. It's not for profit, don't you know?

In regards to the Revelation Book, what in the world?!?!?!? I've always heard the terms "Old Light" and "New Light." Would that have anything to do with it?

Yes. Here's a complete analysis of all the changes. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/118235/1.ashx

Last thing--what's up with Witness literature not really citing their sources? ... What if I wanted to read up on this stuff for myself? Ooooooohhhh? I'm sorry. That's the whole point!!! Stupid me.

You've got that right. Sometimes authors are quoted out of context so badly, the WT literature reverses their meaning. Alan Feuerbacher wrote some great expose's on the sloppy scholarship of the society. http://corior.blogspot.com/

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Wow! that's an interesting post. Well i would consider myself lucky if i were you, you did not get baptised and confirmed as a member of their organisation.

You got off lightly.

LFCv

• Quandry
    Quandry

Last thing--what's up with Witness literature not really citing their sources? In high school and college, we had to cite sources if we did papers and whatnot. If nothing else, this made me wonder about the Organization. When I first started reading the literature, I would look in the back of an issue for some sort of formal bibliography, never to find one. What if I wanted to read up on this stuff for myself? Ooooooohhhh? I'm sorry. That's the whole point!!! Stupid me.

Almostbitten,

I remember wondering about that same thing a long time ago when I studied with the Witnesses. One thing that struck me was a quote in the book The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life, published in 1968 (yes, I studied in 1973) from former US Secretary of State Dean Acheson, who said in 1960, "I know enough of what is going on to assure you that, in fifteen years from today, this world is going to be too dangerous to live in."

That would be 1975, of course. Well, the Witnesses really stressed 1975, implying that Armageddon would come then, which didn't happen.

Later, I was reading another publication printed by the WTS which attributed the same quote to the same person, but changed it to "soon this world will be too dangerous to live in." I wish I could remember the name of the book which had the "doctored" quote.

I remember thinking, even though I was a zealous Witness, that this was not right. It is either a quote or it isn't. You can't change what someone says and call it a quote!!!

They were using the first quote to "prove" that this system would end in 1975, and when it didn't, still used words by the same person, but changed them.....

This is just one example of course, and now I am wondering why I let myself just look past all the idiotic things I read and saw....I guess I just wanted it all to be true....I was sincere, as maybe the woman that visits you is.....

• caliber
    caliber
    Do any of the ex-JWs have any advice about ridding myself of them once and for all. I'd hate to be mean, but...

Almostbitten,...... Buy a witness apostate book such as" Crisis of conscience" when she comes to yout door tell you

would like to study again, but it must be using this book... show it to her... just watch how fast she'll run from yout door !

Caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit