Only a nurse or phlebotomist would understand!

by MsMcDucket 15 Replies latest social humour

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I had to go in to see my doctor today. My doctor is male and in his fifties. I looked at his arms and said "Wow! You must work out!". He grinned. I said "You've got great veins! Makes me want to stick an 18 gauge in there!" And he proudly shows off his wrist vein and says, "You, probably, could get a 12 gauge in there!"

I told you it was for nurses and phlebotomists!

• munchausen
  • parakeet
    parakeet

I'm neither, but I understand. I have to have blood drawn regularly for tests, and I have tiny veins. The nurses and phlebotomists complain about it all the time, and it's no picnic for me either. I'd love to have veins you could push a garden hose into!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Munchausen! Cute nick! Your last name wouldn't be "By-proxy"? Would it? Are you in the medical profession? That link did lead to a bizarre story!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    I'm neither, but I understand. I have to have blood drawn regularly for tests, and I have tiny veins. The nurses and phlebotomists complain about it all the time, and it's no picnic for me either. I'd love to have veins you could push a garden hose into!

My husband has huge muscular-looking arms; but his veins or deep and skinny. I, always, tell the nurses and phlebotomists that he's a hard stick. Sometimes, they'll let me stick him or they'll call the IV Team. The IV Team uses a doppler. He gets pretty irritable after the second stick with no results!

• choosing life
    choosing life

I often find myself looking at peoples veins in their arms to determine how hard a stick they would be. Crazy, but after a while it just gets to be a habit. I have tiny deep veins myself, so i know what it's like on the other side too.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Munchausen the reason I said "by proxy" is because I was wondering if the organization made you sick!?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Crazy, but after a while it just gets to be a habit. I have tiny deep veins myself, so i know what it's like on the other side too.

ChoosingLife, just think about the little old ladies with threads for veins and paper thin skin!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I can definately relate. I find myself sizing up peoples veins all the time. My nephew was over this past weekend and he had a huge vein in his wrist, I immediately starting palpating it and describing how easy a stick he'd be!

When I worked in the ER and had crazy shifts I used to do things in my sleep like take my husbands pulse or feel for a vein. He would tell me that if I started sleep walking and came at him with something sharp he wouldn't be responsible for what he might do to me, LOL

nj

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

I was a phlebot for 12 years and I so know what you mean!

I fondle my boyfriend's arm veins all the time. It spooks him a little.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit