Visit from Pioneers

by QuestioningEverything 17 Replies latest jw friends

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

So, my husband and I are 'faders/inactive' and have been for some time. We live in another city about 60 miles from both sides our family. His parents and my mom are very active in the congregation in their area (they live in the same city). My MIL went to the assemby two weeks ago and met some pioneers that attend a congregation in our area and gave them our address and phone number so they could call on us. Well, they came by on the 4th of July when we were painting our kitchen. Hubby didn't/refused to talk to them and I happened to be outside stripping paint from my cabinets when they pulled up in the driveway.

I was very busy and didn't want to be rude but they were somewhat persistent to set a date to come back so we could talk a little more. I didn't give them a date but tactfully told them to call before coming that we were very busy and didn't like drop in guests. I'm not interested in their encouragement. When/if I ever get ready to return, I'll go on my own initiative.

But truthfully, I don't see that happening. My hubby was furious that his mom did that and will probably not be too nice if they return when I'm not home. He works third shift and is not pleasant at all when woke up before his time. How do I politely let them know that I'm 'not interested'?

I'm not happy that they may report their visit back to my MIL and frankly don't want to be questioned about it.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

that sucks...

even worse, why the heck do witnesses insist on going out in service on holidays? In our old cong, we never did that...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The only answer to your question is the one that leaves you unhappy
    about them reporting back to MIL.

"Look. We are not interested in anyone calling on us. We know what
    the Witnesses teach and if we have any questions, we both have family
    that will answer them for us. Remove me from your return visit list, place
    me on a DO NOT CALL list for this territory. Have a nice day."

• blondie
    blondie

If they call first, just say that you are very busy and get their number and you will let them know.

If they drop by without calling, just say that you are surprised they didn't call first as you requested, say this is not a good time, say goodbye, and shut the door quietly.

I'm sure they won't drop by again. Is it your MIL that set this up? Will she press it?

Blondie

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Yes, good ole MIL set it up and boy is the hubby mad. She's very zealous in her beliefs!! She would be the kind to call the pioneers and see if they were able to contact us.

• blondie
    blondie

Sounds like while these pioneers might stop coming, she might feed the fire. OTWO's comment about being marked down as a DNC might stop it at the congregation level but will it stop your MIL, only you and hubbie would know. I would say that her motive might be good if misguided.

Blondie

• changeling
    changeling

I agree with OTWO and blondie. Be tactful, but firm in your refusal.

All in all, I would not waste my time worrying about this and letting it upset me. Nobody can make you do what you don't want to do unless you allow them. So take it with a grain of salt.

changeling :)

• garybuss
    garybuss

You don't have a Jehovah's Witness problem, you have a relative problem. Solve the relative problem and the Witness issue goes away.

I did, and mine did!

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

All you have to do is put up a "No Trespassing" sign. It does not matter what the size is or how it looks as long as it states "No Trespassing". I've seen very small ones in the window corner of front doors. Some are very attractive but it makes the statment.

They are not to go to doors with this statement.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    RE: No tresspassing - "They are not to go to doors with this statement."

This may not work in this case - as the 'pioneers' were 'invited' to go to the house by the m-i-l. I know... it's a stretch, but some JWs are thick when it comes to things like 'signs'.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit