Visit from Pioneers

by QuestioningEverything 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Plummet
    Plummet

You could give the Mormons your MIL's address for a study.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Yeah, but according to the society's rules they "ARE NOT" to go to these doors. You might want to throw that at them if you had a sign and they knocked anyway. Maybe even mention that you are going to contact the local law enforcement, the hall or the society about it.

• Solace1998
    Solace1998

calling on inactive ones is an activity strictly initiated by the elders, not pioneers.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

My MIL intentions were good ones. However, we are not really interested in returning. I would never be disrespectful to her nor would my hubby, she is a wonderful person just a little overly zealous for her cause. Yet, I don't want to rock the boat because everyone in the family will know and at this time we are quietly living our lives 60+ miles away from them. Plus, I'm concerned that the pioneers may take our lack of interest and run with it right to the elders.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

QE: Ya know... I've found that smiling a lot - and saying 'sure - come back anytime' seems to work with the JWs that called on me - when I was fading (heck - I flat-out quit going).

JWs have good intentions... and I would get that occassional zealous JW visiting (or the Circuit O. - I think my wifey sicked him on me), and they would pontificate long and hard - reading scripture after scripture... me sitting (or standing) there... eyes glazed over... after their visit the one fella said something like 'I would like to return and talk some more...'

To which I would reply, 'Sure! come back anytime.'

Well... he never came back.

So - sometimes - ya gotta play their bluff - like poker - they'll fold. (They mean well... they just get busy with more 'important' things in their lives - or 'field service')

But... that's just my experience here. I didn't have the same situation you have - with your m-i-l sending them to your door.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. You may have to do this more than once... but like the shampoo... 'rinse and repeat' - eventually, they'll quit returning

• TheListener
    TheListener

The WTS has said that you can call on a house with a no trespassing sign but it's your responsibility if anything negative happens. Mosts publishers don't go - the ones that do are zealous nuts.

Anyone can encourage an inactive or irregular person. Only the elders can call on a disfellowshipped person.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Blondie is the Queen of the fade. I like how she requires civility, always. It's a good antidote to the former life of having your privacy trampled, regularly.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Contact some Mormons to pay a visit to your MIL ... give them her name, address and phone number. Hey, repay her the same way she did to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit