Could I get disfellowshipped for this?

by slimboyfat 35 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    you know some books of the Bible were even written by women..." And the brother cut her off gently at that point and said some Bible books were named after women, and that does show women were given high regard even in Bible times.

Actually part of the Bible was written by Deborah and Miriam.

*** w60 8/15 pp. 489-490 Sing and Make a Joyful Noise! ***And Miriam . . . proceeded to take a tambourine in her hand and all the women began going out with her with tambourines and in dances. And Miriam kept responding to the men: "Sing to Jehovah, for he has become highly exalted. The horse and its rider he has pitched into the sea.’"—Ex. 15:1, 20, 21.

"That is the oldest of the songs written down and preserved for us in the Bible; the second oldest is the song of Deborah and Barak recorded in the fifth chapter of the book of Judges. This song magnifies Jehovah, describes a great deliverance by God and shows the bond between God and man through music and song.

*** it-1 p. 600 Deborah ***Deborah and Barak joined in singing a song on the day of victory. Part of the song is written in the first person, indicating that Deborah was its composer, in part, if not in its entirety. (Jg 5:7)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Narkissos, of course there is a part of me that wants to be caught, and I am playing a bit of a cat and mouse game with myself. But the reasons for me not wanted to be outcast are still stronger at this point I feel. But I am not very stable in my opinion about this, as with many other things as it happens. But in most things I tend to be cautious and tend to avoid making decisions which can't be reversed.

I am a bit slow on my feet, and as always in these situations I thought of much better things to say after the Witnesses left. But I did get in a few good lines.

When we were talking about homosexuality I said it was inhumane to expect people to suppress their desires or live a "false" life and get married. He insisted that homosexuality is a choice and that these people can change with help. I got a bit annoyed about that because I know there is a Witness in the very Kingdom Hall he attended that very morning who would disagree with him strongly. So I looked at him very sternly, with my best poker face: "Are you sure homosexuals can change? Are you speaking from personal experience here?"

He looked at the sister a bit embarrassed, but laughed it off and said no. Coming to think on it I am not sure what the relationship was between him and the sister. They didn't strike me as a married couple, or as brother and sister, but I could be wrong. It might be interesting to try find that out actually. Maybe there are courting and there was some sexual frustration I was detecting.

At another point the sister was saying how women were accorded respect in the Bible and given privileges. "For instance there was Mary who had the privilege of giving birth to Jesus the Messiah." In response I deadpanned: "Yeah it would have been a pretty funny story if he was born to a man I suppose."

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Years ago, when I was working the night shift, I got really sick of people coming to the door to sell things. One day a woman knocked on the door and wouldn't go away. I went to the door all bleary eyed and sleep-deprived. She was selling something, cemetary plots I think. I just stood at the door and waited in kind of a coma for her to stop talking and go away. Then I went back to bed. I was still living at home with my family. They were outraged when this woman showed up, wanting to talk to the young Navy wife she had spoken to before about cemetary plots. My mother said she was crazy, the woman was offended, she knew she had spoken to this young Navy wife, blah blah blah. My mother finally called her crazy and shut the door. Then my mother asked me about it and I said someone woke me up, I don't know who, and I don't know what the person wanted! I guess I carried on a long conversation with this woman in my sleep.

So there's your answer - that's what people get when they disturb someone who is trying to sleep and who is sleep deprived. Entire lengthy conversations the person can't remember. I say, claim amnesia for the event!

• parakeet
    parakeet

FreudianSlip wrote: "I eagerly await the finale.."

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

parakeet there are many things that make me undecided about how and whether to leave the Witnesses, but the reaction of others on this forum is pretty low on the list of priorities I have to say. And I am pretty forthright in my opinions, it's just that they are not all black or white as regards the Witnesses.

I am thinking of going to the Book Study tonight just to see what would happen. I am pretty sure the brother who came to my door will attend our Book Study. I wonder how he would react when I walk in.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    So I looked at him very sternly, with my best poker face: "Are you sure homosexuals can change? Are you speaking from personal experience here?"

lol

• parakeet
    parakeet

SBF wrote: "parakeet there are many things that make me undecided about how and whether to leave the Witnesses, but the reaction of others on this forum is pretty low on the list of priorities I have to say."

Well, thanks a lot! I'm sure everyone who posted on this thread will be happy to hear that.

SBF: "And I am pretty forthright in my opinions, it's just that they are not all black or white as regards the Witnesses."

That was my point. Whenever you start a thread, I find it interesting to read your opinion du jour. I've been trying to decide if moon phases or numerology have any correlation with your varying pro- or anti-dub stance.

SBF: "I am thinking of going to the Book Study tonight just to see what would happen. I am pretty sure the brother who came to my door will attend our Book Study. I wonder how he would react when I walk in."

Yes, keep on "thinking" of what you're going to do, as long as you don't actually DO anything.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

parakeet of course I find the views of people on here interesting and I enjoy reading it or I would not spend so much time on it. But to order my life according to the reactions of online people I have mostly never met as you suggest would be odd. And if popularity was my aim, I am sure I could make a better go of it than this - but I reckon I would need to adopt a "position" I am not entirely comfortable with for that. And yes I am indecisive about what to with regard to leaving/staying with the Witnesses. I know that, and you know that: I don't pretend otherwise. What is so objectionable about being unsure? Should I pretend my mind is made up when it is not? Or just shut up until I do make up my mind? I might never say anything ever again waiting for my mind to be made up.

• eatpoof
    eatpoof

@slimboyfat
    from your post I read (among other things) this:
    - You're a dissident, you want out.
    - Your wife is is also dissident although not to the same degree as you.
    - Your social environment (eg.family, friends etc.) are all majorly JW.
    - You're frustrated.
    - You air frustration in the real world and realize the potential fireback, thus the post.

I really do not know you nor your circumstaces but I am convinced that sooner or later you got to fold your deck.

/eatpoof

• loosie
    loosie

Deny Deny Deny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit