TV Converter Box Choice?

by garybuss 29 Replies latest social entertainment

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Galileo,

I don't see any apartment buildings here with 4 dishes per apartment hanging on the roofs.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Gary, the law is on their side, specifically section 207 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, and especially the 1998 amendment dealing with renters

Gary, Galileo is correct.

Satellite dishes were a big issue with renters but in the end, the renters came out ahead.

Some landlords then were requiring the tenants carry a separate insurance policy ($10,000 or so) to further discourage the dishes. The idea being that in a windstorm, it could damage the building.

Even that concept ended up with numerous lawsuits and I'm not sure how it was eventually resolved.

Rub a Dub

• Galileo
    Galileo
    I don't see any apartment buildings here with 4 dishes per apartment hanging on the roofs.

My understanding of the law (and I'm not a lawyer, I would recommend consulting one) is that the renters must be allowed to install a satellite dish on an area they have exclusive rights to, such as a balcony, patio, or outside their window. They do not have to be allowed to install a dish or antenna on a common area, such as a roof.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

For what it's worth, I purchased the Zenith TT900, purchased from Circuit City. Works very well, just hooked up my rabbit ears and plugged in the cables. Leave the TV on channel 3 and use the box to select channels. Picture is MUCH better than before (and I thought it was good then), and I receive almost twice as many channels.
    It's a nice step to keep my otherwise satisfactory TV useable until I'm ready to purchase an LCD with digital tuning.

• heathen
    heathen

How is that going to work now , I have regular tv's with digital tuners (I assome all modern remote control tvs are digital) are they going to work without the box or do I need the box ? and where do I get the coupons?

• Galileo
    Galileo

Any TV that has a digital tuner doesn't need a box, even for over the air reception. Any TV bought in the last 2 or 3 years should be fine. Older TVs you'll have to do some checking as to whether they have a digital tuner or just an analog one. Also any TV hooked up to cable or a satellite converter box is fine.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'm still seasoning this decision. I am excited about the news that the box will add another remote. I may choose the box on tool appeal of the remote alone. Fondling the remote must be digital foreplay.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I got two Insignia NS-DXA1-APT. The government issued coupons worked. Two converters cost $50 cash out of pocket total. So far I like the one I have hooked up. I have much better picture on channels I always got and I get three I never got before. FOX 17 I can't get unless I bypass the converter.

The converter was easy to install. Might have taken one minute. Took longer to read the instructions than to install the converter.

I'll probably get a couple more so I can use the same set up when I use a different TV.

8 remotes on the table. Life is good!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"...Insignia NS-DXA1-APT"

Gary,

Where did you purchase these? I've started looking around... I am still an amateur at this... I haven't seen that model anywhere - yet.

Thanks for the update. Glad it works.

Regards,

Jim TX

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Jim,

Best Buy! The Insignia had pretty good reports on the web sites I looked at. These are all pretty new, so there's not a whole lot of time experience with them. I'm happy with this one today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit