TV Converter Box Choice?

by garybuss 29 Replies latest social entertainment

• garybuss
    garybuss

TV Converter Box Choice?

I need some help choosing which TV converter box to buy. I have two United States Government issued converter box $40 coupons good till 9-9-08.

The letter that came with the coupons listed at least 50 different converter boxes that can be used with the coupon. I wasn't expecting having to make that diffused of a decision.

Anybody got any ideas on which converter boxes to buy? I've got some pretty decent newer TVs that I won't replace real soon. I could give a rat's ass if I watch DIY channel in HD. I rely on over the air channels for all local channels.

I have a Direct TV dish but no local cable since I'm out in the sticks in eastern South Dakota.

Thanks!

Gary

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I, too will be interested in the responses to this.

What I was going to do (when I get my coupons) was to go to Target, and see if one of their converter boxes could be used with the coupons.

I don't think that it matters what converter box one gets... as long as it 'converts' the incoming digital signal to an analog one that the TV can use.

Regards,

Jim TX

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`m way back in the wilderness..I have a satellite hook up..There is no end of channels......You`ve got a Satellite Dish?..Maybe find a converter that works well with that.........................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• garybuss
    garybuss

I did some searching on line and here's what I'm finding: "Zenith DTT900 (or it's clone, Best Buy's Insignia NS-DXA1)" come in as #1 and #2.

I called Radio Shack and they don't have any in stock here. The Radio Shack guy said here there are going to be 5 on air channels broadcasting dual feeds, one in HD and another feed in analog. He said I'd need a converter box with a bypass feature to see the analog feeds.

I called Best Buy and they have 200 Insignias in stock. Maybe I'll start with those two.

Maybe the Monday readers will have some feedback too.

Thanks!

• frozen one
    frozen one

I bought the Insignia converter and it works just fine. I've heard a few people talk about the Radio Shack boxes burning out quickly. Don't know if there is any truth to that. Something about there not being enough vents in the Radio Shack boxes. Maybe they fixed that. I stopped by a local TV repair shop to pick up a new antenna. The owner gave me an hour long disertation about anolog antennas not tuned for digital signals blah, blah, blah...you know the typical electronic nut. Anyway, I hooked up a set of rabbit ears and it seems to work just fine. The difference in picture is remarkable.

Good luck, Gary. How you doing anyway?

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: "How you doing anyway?"

Hey Frozen, I'm doin' good. Howz about you? Any trips planned this summer? Give me a holler if ya plan on coming this way.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I'm doing real well. Typical summer in northern Minnesota. A person has to maximize the nice days cause they don't seem to last long. I kind of have a trip planned for August. If I go it'll be in a different direction from you. Then again I like the southwest corner of the state so you never know. I might take a long weekend and head down that way. I seem to remember I do owe you breakfast.

• Galileo
    Galileo

Just bite the bullet and buy an HDTV. I got a fifty inch for my media room and I liked it so much I ended up getting a 42 inch for my bedroom. The future is now. Embrace it.

• John Doe
    John Doe

There's no sense in running out and buying a $1500 tv when you have a perfectly good one that needs a converter box. People are so wasteful.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I've got two pretty new Sony flat screens, a 36" and a 32", and a couple older ones that work good. I'm inclined not to watch very much TV. I never watch drama and I multitask with what TV I do watch.

I'll replace sets with HD when they fail. If I had local cable I wouldn't mess with converters but I'm in a rural location, so I rely on broadcast stations for all local channels as well as Educational Television that I like a lot.

I'd be more likely to buy into satellite radio. I like talk radio and in summer here we have about 15 stations all broadcasting the same Minnesota Twins baseball game, preempting preferred broadcasting. I'm NOT a baseball fan!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit