Did You Know Anyone That Got In Trouble For "Celebrating" July 4th?

by minimus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I knew of a slew of JW revelers that got into trouble with the elders for "celebrating" the holiday with fireworks and/or a picnic.

did you ever get counseled for celebrating a nation's birthday?>

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Nope, we did go to see the fireworks that were visible just over the hill from my parents' house when I was a kid. Never got a talking to from the elders. Maybe it was too dark to see us?

• minimus
    minimus

Too dark, huh?

I ALWAYS went to see the fireworks display. And then I'd hear how certain ones were being counseled for observing a patriotic holiday!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember a hardcore dub getting upset with my oldest brother because he took the man's son, and a few others in the cong to a Brewer game. The game was on July 6, so they had fireworks after the game, which the group stayed and watched. He didn't confront my brother about it, because my brother was service overseer, and the other man was a nobody, but told anyone else who would listen that it was a bad example to be setting for the younger ones. I believe his exact words were, "He's supposed to be keeping the congregation clean!" All that fuss over fireworks.

• minimus
    minimus

stoopid

• confusa
    confusa

I'm surprised that people got scolded for just watching the fireworks when bethelites went to the roof and brought up guests to watch the fireworks. Bethel in Brooklyn had the best view of it and they did this every year.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I never heard of it. We always spent the day with my Dad's family and he was a non JW, so we got away with a lot of things (girl scouts, sports) that others did not. Still never heard of anyone else getting busted for it. Kind of hard to avoid the public displays, and my mom(who no longer has my dad as an excuse) has invited people to enjoy her awesome view of the water near Bremerton(near a navy installation and awesome shows). She doesn't anymore cause she can't stay awake till dark in July:)

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Hellya! Bunch of slithering hypocrites. They always had Turkey for Thanksgiving and Ham on Christmas, but light up even one sparkler in July and kiss your ass goodbye. The Highland Congo in Albuquerque and the now defunct Foothill farms congo on Aldona in Sacramento, CA.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz
    I'm surprised that people got scolded for just watching the fireworks when bethelites went to the roof and brought up guests to watch the fireworks. Bethel in Brooklyn had the best view of it and they did this every year.

As stated, I would be surprised also. I was at Bethel in 1976 and the fireworks that year was incredible. The Bethel roofs (Tower and 124) were pretty full. Another year I remember going to an elders house for a picnic and fireworks. His house was in a prime viewing area.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never got busted for it, but I remember one year when I first joined the cancer I inadvertently returned a "Happy holiday" greeting with "you too". And I felt bad about making that mistake.

These days, I am just as likely to initiate such greeting, since I do not give a fxxx if I get busted. Hey, it's better than going to the Grand Boasting Session.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit