Did You Know Anyone That Got In Trouble For "Celebrating" July 4th?

by minimus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

No consistency with the restrictions.

So full of shit.

A decade wasted.

• blondie
    blondie

Never heard of any problems. So a person couldn't have a picnic on the 4th? Wouldn't that be reverse celebrating? Too many elders in this area had parties, picnics, always at the houses of the ones that had a good view of the fireworks. I knew too that the Bethelites went up to the roof to see the fireworks, I was there one year. Some jws are so overly righteous or want something to beat the jws they don't like over the head.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

When I was a kid, the "worldly" people next door always shot off really neat fireworks. I could peek out the windows, but I couldn't go outside and watch.

They felt bad for me and saved me some firecrackers, bottle rockets, and sparklers and gave them to me the next week. They knew my family were JWs so they waited until well after the 4th.

I got into a huge amount of trouble. When I pointed out that it was July 10th, I was told it didn't matter because they were still 4th of July fireworks.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I am from the Arlington Heights area of Illinois and there is a horseracing track at Arlington where they would put on an emmense display every year. It was within a mile of the Kingdom Hall. We wouldnt go TO the track and watch mind you..that would be "participating" but there was a play ground across the street where we would sit...including my very JW husband and watch them with the kids.

My husband even this year went to the party as he has every year that his sister has on the 4th. He even went to teh fireworks with us a few years. I dont know what switch he has that goes on and off. This year he was adamant about NOT going to the display after having been at the PARTY all day.

ooook honey. :)

• minimus
    minimus

I remember a former Bethelite elder telling the others not to be too harsh for the celebration because, as was mentioned here, the Bethelites regularly viewed the fireworks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit