Confusion about Bible reading

by faundy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    I never did it anyway, it was boring. Give me any other good book and I'll be hooked.

That's how I always felt. I've tried in the past to just pick it up and read but it was soooo boring. I love to read and I have a boat load of books, but that damn bible just doesn't hold my attention.

nj

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I never did it anyway, it was boring. Give me any other good book and I'll be hooked.

It may depend on the way you read it. Like any other ancient collection of tales, myths and narratives, the Bible has many layers and I'm pretty sure the JW literalist take isn't the most exciting layer to peel off. I reread the entire OT, for instance, after reading "The Bible Unearthed" and I was thrilled to discover the beauty of its complex editing and composition.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Oh God that building looks like LA Mens Central Jail

• blondie
    blondie

*** w81 12/1 p. 27 par. 4 The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter ***No matter where we may live on earth, God’s Word continues to serve as a light to our path and a lamp to our roadway as to our conduct and beliefs. (Ps. 119:105) But Jehovah God has also provided his visible organization, his "faithful and discreet slave," made up of spirit-anointed ones, to help Christians in all nations to understand and apply properly the Bible in their lives. Unless we are in touch with this channel of communication that God is using, we will not progress along the road to life, no matter how much Bible reading we do.—Compare Acts 8:30-40.

Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses 1939 p 85 It should be expected that the Lord would have a means of communicating to his people on the earth, and he has clearly shown that the magazine called The Watch Tower is used for that purpose

*** w94 10/1 p. 8 The Bible—A Book Meant to Be Understood ***Even as Bible prophecy pointed forward to the Messiah, it also directs us to the close-knit body of anointed Christian Witnesses that now serve as the faithful and discreet slave. It helps us to understand the Word of God. All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah’s channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave.—John 6:68.

*** w81 8/15 pp. 28-29 par. 14 Serving Jehovah "Shoulder to Shoulder" ***They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such ‘Bible reading,’ they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom’s clergy were teaching 100 years ago, and some have even returned to celebrating Christendom’s festivals again, such as the Roman Saturnalia of December 25!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Many preachers and religions would like to explain your bible reading to you. That way you will know where to send your money.

• chellechelle
    chellechelle

its all in the propoganda.. they know they cant teach soley with the bible because it is unbelievable... they need their interpretation to truly suck u dry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit